Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing #1  

driceman

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000BD, Ford 8N
I found this listing a while ago. And its still up. I've been lazily looking for a replacement/amendment to my current old 87 Yamaha 225cc atv. However this guy might be tired of waiting to get rid of it and it might be ready to deal. No way will I pay near his 3k ask. However, I was curious if you guys had even heard of this conversion before and if so, what kind of rabbit hole might I be going down if I tug on this thread? Polaris Trail Boss 25 4x4 DIESEL

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing #2  
1) Inexpensive Yanmar CLONE probably outnumbers real Yanmar air cooled engines, and we see posts here where some don't last long. Beware!

2) If it needs new gearing it's not going to have the low end grunt you need offroad. I think that's an engine intended for generators etc at steady 3600 rpm.

Maybe it's a project if the price is reasonable. Doesn't sound like its ready to put in service as is.

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing
So how could I ask this seller to verify it isn't a clone California. And to do it without being offensive? Any Ideas?

Its about 15-20 minutes from me so not a long drive to look.

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing #5  
All I know about those is the occasional posts I read here in the Yanmar forum.

You might search on 'air cooled' here then ask one of the posters who has one.

That popular Yanmar air cooled diesel may be the '186' that pops up on ebay searches when I meant YM186D, so searching '186' here might lead you to posts or posters.

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing #6  
The gator we have at work has a yanmar diesel in it.

You need different gears in the diesel version than a gas. So like cali said if gears not changed...

Probably not going to pursue it. I've got enough projects without buying another one. Maybe if he had it geared right already I'd consider it. I've seen the Gators and Kubota UTV's with diesels on some of the construction sites I've been on but not on any 4wheeler ATVs. My storage space is a premium so I'd need something small like this. I wish there were factory diesel options on the smaller atv's as well as small pickup trucks. Although I know that chevy is offering a diesel in their new Colorado pickups but thats big $$ Oh well.

/ Curious Yanmar ATV CG listing #8  
Probably not going to pursue it. I've got enough projects without buying another one. Maybe if he had it geared right already I'd consider it. I've seen the Gators and Kubota UTV's with diesels on some of the construction sites I've been on but not on any 4wheeler ATVs. My storage space is a premium so I'd need something small like this. I wish there were factory diesel options on the smaller atv's as well as small pickup trucks. Although I know that chevy is offering a diesel in their new Colorado pickups but thats big $$ Oh well.
I think I was told that the gears out of the ranger will fit in the Polaris ATV but that is more work to get working.

Also I almost got the Diesel Colorado at work but basically it came down to some folks in a different group of folks didn't want to pay for it. I got upgraded to a Ram 1500 though so all was good :)