Stopping transmission to engage

/ Stopping transmission to engage #1  

jimjumper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 240D, 8N Ford
This will probably be a stupid question, but when I get on and off my tractor to do something, putting it back into gear always causes the transmission to slightly grind since the trans spins while I'm off. It's pretty minor but any idea how to get the transmission to synchronize when I get off and on?

/ Stopping transmission to engage #2  
Mine does the same thing, but only after getting warmed up, and not all the time. If it acts like it wants to grind, I just but it into a low gear first to stop the spin, then the gear I want. Probably the clutch slightly out of adjustment, but the clutch is working great otherwise (new in 2015 records show), so I'd rather not fool with it. Will be following the responses.

/ Stopping transmission to engage #3  
I finally have my 2nd. Gear PTO. staying locked into gear so I use it with the FM. That way I'm running at a much lower Eng. RPM.. The wait is very minimal now for the PTO to get slowed down after pushing in the clutch. I set the idle with just the mower in gear PTO at the very lowest Eng. speed possible without stalling. Also make sure your clutch is in adj. properly also.

/ Stopping transmission to engage #4  
I know the bigger trucks use a clutch brake for that very reason. When they went bad you were at the mercy of letting the trans slow up or finding a different gear to pop it in momentarily to stop. Sometimes rev works quicker.

/ Stopping transmission to engage #5  
The 240 has a over run clutch built in. I have a aftermarket that attaches to my PTO shaft. The problem is the attachment inertia is what is spinning the PTO.. That's why I found keeping Eng. RPM's at the lowest is the best way to go. I can't recall a higher speed helping on the YM series... My father in the 50's drove for the Double Diamonds in WV. I believe the brake went out in the Mountains. He quit!!!....

/ Stopping transmission to engage #6  
They all tend to do that. I think it's old school stuff.

Big trucks will do that. I have truck drivers that haul wood grind like that when they go to grab a gear

/ Stopping transmission to engage
I kind of think so too. My old 8N does the same thing but I thought i might see if someone had some kind of clutching routine that worked.

/ Stopping transmission to engage #8  
Nope, you will just have to make sure it's stopped to change gears/ I mostly leave mine in one range then use the power shift for changing gears

/ Stopping transmission to engage #9  
He isn't talking about shifting while rolling but he is talking about parking tractor putting in neutral, say to open a gate or hook up and implement then when you get back on to put it back into gear to go it grinds even though you have the clutch fully depressed and engine idled down.

Very similar when you hear a big truck put into gear after sitting ideling.

/ Stopping transmission to engage #10  
It will miraculously get better with time. You have to learn to drive all over again. (also check that clutch adjustment for minimal 1/2" pedal play)