First near catastrophe.

/ First near catastrophe. #1  

DoyleAlley

Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
I'm new to Yanmar but not to tractors. I previously owned a JD 950 (Yanmar engine) for about five years plus I've done enough shade-tree mechanicing to get me by with most things. I picked up a very well used YM1700 last week. Today, I went to start it and found the battery dead for the 2nd time. I had already suspected the key switch was the culprit because there wasn't a clear delineation between off and on. So, after recharging the battery I tried again. This time, the key just spun around completely in the switch. Ok, I can live with that for now - just jump the solenoid. That got it started enough to move it to the driveway so I could change the transmission fluid. After I had it shut off and was headed away to get the oil drain pan, it started trying to crank itself. Nothing I could do stopped the starter from turning. The only tool I had handy was a pair of medium sized channel locks. I first tried to remove the negative battery cable at the frame, but not having 2 wrenches the only thing I succeeded in doing was making it loose enough to spark and heat up enough to start melting the insulation off the cable. I finally decided to use the channel locks to unscrew the nut holding the ignition switch, then with the switch pulled out below the dash I was able to pull the battery connection off the terminal. Of course, by then the battery was drained again. Needless to say, the starter was way too hot to put my hand on and I was worried that I'd have to deal with a bad starter too.

After picking up a new switch at Napa and changing the fluid (and recharging the battery), it started right up. It looks like no real harm done other than having to replace the starter switch and negative battery cable.

/ First near catastrophe. #2  
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: Glad it worked out as well as it did.

/ First near catastrophe. #3  
Fast reaction w/clear thought indeed save lot headaches and $$$'s. :thumbsup:

/ First near catastrophe. #4  
Everyone including me is sitting back and thinking :scratchchin: what we would do if that happens to us. Making my plan now for later. Just kidding but sometimes we just can't think fast enough when you see battery cables start glowing red. Glad it wasn't bad for you.

/ First near catastrophe. #5