YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower #11  
If the Decal is missing All the way down is 1st. next shift up is Neutral Next up 2nd then up 3rd.. My 5'FM Idles at 1100 rpms.. I set it at 1000 but always works up on the Tach after a while of cutting and I have to bump it down. I keep it low so when I shift gears. I only have to wait a Second or Two for the Eng./Trans. can slow down and stop spinning gears enough to get a clean shift with minimal grinding if any at all. And to think hard and I mean real hard about it. I can't recall ever stalling my 2000 with the FM. Maybe once YRS.... ago. Could be just a POS... I've put over 650hrs. on mine since I bought it with my guess over 550hrs of it with the FM. No OIL use, smoke, or gets hot in 90+ deg. weather. I'm SW of Athens about 75miles if that from you..... The Newer JD's are nice. but my Yanmar is basically just my Lawn mower. Which I may box blade my Rd. now and then. Even with a FM. on the JD it doesn't maneuver or cut nearly as well.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 82
   / YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower
Put the PTO in position 1 and the transmission in 8th gear low range and it still wont pull the finish mower.

The temp dummy light was on in less than 10 mins so back to the pole barn with the tractor so it could cool off.

I turned the PTO shaft on the mower by hand.

It had some resistance but not what I would consider excessive.

Back to the drawing board..???

td

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower
Put the PTO in position 1 and the transmission in 8th gear low range and it still wont pull the finish mower.

The temp dummy light was on in less than 10 mins so back to the pole barn with the tractor so it could cool off.

I turned the PTO shaft on the mower by hand.

It had some resistance but not what I would consider excessive.

Back to the drawing board..???

BTW:I was born in Jefferson and still have some family in the Athens area.

td

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower #14  
I have a 27 hp Kubota and have been using it this week with a 6 foot rfm mowing recently sprig grass. I have used that combo of tractor and mower for several years with dependable results with it only straining in very heavy zoysia grass in our yard which just meant slow down ground speed a little.

But this was coastal Bermuda sprigged in fields for hay. It was sprayed with pre emergent weed killer but did spotted work. So was cutting some heavy crab grass and spots of weeds.

But was surprised the way tractor was running hot and had full 540 pto speed and with hydro trans dropped to middle range and still wanted to run hot. Replaced air filter which was dirty and that helped but it still ran hotter than I wanted and washed the radiator fins and that made a big improvement. So as suggested wash or blow out the radiator fins and check the air filter for a restricted air filter or critter nest will cause an engine to run hot.

As to what you describe does seem issue with the mower. I would suggest you lifting it and blocking so safe. Disconnect the pto shaft. Begin there to see if the shaft is in good condition and try turning the blades by hand and see if free. Also check the wheels to be sure they rotate freely. Be sure your mower is not set too low. One other thing to check, if blades were recently replaced they did not get installed upside down did they?

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower #15  
Either your cooling system needs attention or something must be amiss with the mower. I ran both high lift (would include your gater blades) and straight blades on my 5' Woods with a 20hp 2002D. The high lift would cause it to run at a higher temperature but not over heat.

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower #16  
Yup, clean out your radiator fins, or backflush the system, whatever necessary.

/ YM2000 will not pull JD 261 5' finishing mower #17  
I'm just on the other side of Winder.:) and have family in Jefferson....
Have you talked to Steve @ Spalding tractor. He's right there at you and Knows more about the 2000's than anyone I know. That's even who I bought mine from. He has sold who knows how many. In the .000's I'm sure. Everything is working just not correctly so it won't take much to straighten it out.
Blades could be possible but I used the H lift also. But again I wear them out. There is nothing there in a few months for me of the Bent metal lift. So really was never much blade there but I can't recall a problem New! Oh! I'm guessing H-Gasket...