YM276D located and in garage

/ YM276D located and in garage
Page 250-00-2 in repair manual states 1.638 to 1 front to rear ratio. 0% runout with 0 and 6% wear limit.

Parts manual shows different wheel and rim size options starting on figure 92. The 276 actually had the option of standard or large ag tire options.

If I am doing calculations correct, the diameter of the rear 16.5L-16.1 is about 40.5". That calculates to a circumference of 127.17. The current front tires have a diameter of approximately 25.7". That calculates to a circumference of 80.70". That results with a ratio of 1.575. Granted these do NOT have the rolling circumference calculated, but the skid steer tire appears slightly large for the ratio if the calculations are correct. If I installed tires that were exactly 25" that would change the circumference to 78.5" and a resulting ratio of 1.62.....

/ YM276D located and in garage #42  
Again returning to the real world, all the math can go stuff itself because what we really care about is stress on the axles and drivetrain. And that is easy enough to sense without any math or measurements. If after driving in 4wd you go to shift back into 2wd but the 4wd engagement lever seems stuck or difficult to shift out of 4wd then what you are feeling means there is too much stress on the drive train. Figure out what is going on, and don't do that! Or if you can't help avoid that situation then for sure don't carry a heavy load in 4wd on high traction surfaces. Remember, even if the ratio is near perfect, you still need for a tire to be able to slip to protect the drivetrain.

Of course if you enjoy a little bit of math and mechanics as I do, you'll be as glad as I was upon finding the old notes from 1999 when I was setting up the Yanmar 336D for new wheels and tires. But as we weave through specs and such, please keep in mind that rolling circumference is easy enough to measure exactly for any tractor with the paint blob technique.
Another interesting thing in the notes notes from back then is that I see that since most Yanmar tires were still in production I first went to the tire manufacturer's web site where rolling circumference was among the listed specs. I wonder if it still is? And then since real rolling circumference is dependent on the tire's age (elasticity), the psi, and the weight of the tractor I compared their specs to what I got on my own using the paint blob test. The manufacturer's spec is going to be less accurate than simply measuring it yourself. But to my surprise the deviation from spec to my experiment was less than 1%.

It turns out that the rolling circumference of a real tire on the ground will always be less than what one gets by arithmatically calculating the circumference of a circle from diameter times pi.
The reason the rolling circumference is smaller is because the tire is flat on the bottom, and therefore the distance from the center of rotation to the ground (called the "loaded radius") is less than the distance from the center of rotation to the top of the tire. A tire has multiple - and different - radiuses. That is why the rolling circumference differs from the circumference of a mathematically perfect circle where the radius is always half the diameter of a circle.
It's lots of fun to see how real engineering both relies on math but differs from it when we enter the physical world. And of course it is it is easier to just measure the rolling circumference if your interest runs to such extremes. When you do, you will find that the rolling circumference of a rear tire is around 93 to 95 percent of the number you would expect to get if the tire were indeed a mathematically true circle. For the front tire expect a rolling circumference to be in the 92 to 94 percent range. Yes, the front tire variation is slightly different from the rear tire's.

Still, the last word is not the arithmetic. It is how it performs in 4wd carrying your particular weight on your somewhat worn tires and especially over your own unique soil & traction. Rich, how does yours shift into and out of 4wd?

Enjoy!
rScotty

After conducting a search on the best tires for compact utility tractors it became apparent that many people have very different and strong opinions about specific tire manufacturers. It's sort of strange though that with some tire manufacturers that you cannot find a set of matching tires between the front and back sets.

/ YM276D located and in garage #44  
After conducting a search on the best tires for compact utility tractors it became apparent that many people have very different and strong opinions about specific tire manufacturers. It's sort of strange though that with some tire manufacturers that you cannot find a set of matching tires between the front and back sets.

What are you finding out? Tires all seem to work about the same tractionwise on our hardrock soil. Or maybe it's that I don't know much about tractor tires, except that they seem to last forever. It might be different in real dirt. I do know that some of mine are at least 30 years old and are fine treadwise. Around here it's the sun that gets them. Not at all like car tires that always seem to be wearing out. That said, I think most of my tractors are running either Goodyear or Titan....and Firestone on the old JD.
rScotty

/ YM276D located and in garage #45  
Because every tire maker does not offer every tread pattern in every size and they can't possibly know the ratio you need for your specific application to offer sizes for them.

They offer just the most common and easily sold sizes usually.

Sources indicate the at 7x14 wheel for the turf front tires is actually a 4" x 14" wheel. One supplier does offer a new 5" x 14" wheel for the tires. Did Yanmar really place 7x14 tires on a 4" rim? If so, why did they call it a 5" rim? There seem to be plenty of sources available for new front wheels. The larger wheels with the inserts are available from a used source.

Well here is the YM276D with ag wheels/tires. I went with Carlisle tires because Titan wanted over twice the cost.

IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1440.JPG

/ YM276D located and in garage #48  
Just the fronts or the rears as well? Ready for work now!