Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #21  
I went and looked at the 1975 Nebraska Tractor Test - YM240 (pdf) [a 'Consumer Reports type lab test] but they didn't measure lift.

One thing they did document is Hi range first gear is lower than Lo range 4th, something we have subjectively felt.

Also they observed 210 degrees coolant temperature in their full load 2 hour test.

There's lots of interesting data in that report.

Not only have we felt that the ym240 service manual says this. It gives ground speeds in each gear . If you want I can post a picture of the page.

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #22  
Not only have we felt that the ym240 service manual says this. It gives ground speeds in each gear . If you want I can post a picture of the page.
Thanks. I have that manual, haven't looked at it in too long.

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #23  
From the 240 parts manual:
2nd from the 195/240 operators manual:

I have pretty much accepted the Yanmar manuals have numerous errors.

Attachments

• 240 speed 002.JPG
    240 speed 002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • 240 speed 003.JPG
    240 speed 003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #24  
I wonder if those figures are measured at the ends of the hydraulic arms, rating the lift applied to the vertical shafts. Since many of the Yanmars sold in Japan included the close-mount semi-permanent tiller, their rating might have been measured that way.

I don't doubt those numbers are in the printed literature but I doubt a standardized test (I think measured 24" beyond the end of the lower arms) would match the printed figures.

Some history as I recall it from when Yanmar first came into the US. 40 years ago I was a new mechanic absolutely fascinated with tractors, and a friend had just decided to open a compact tractor dealership - he chose Yanmars. So I got a lot of the inside story.

Back in the early 1980s compact tractors were new to the US, but the potential size of the market was easy to see. There were at least a dozen different Japanese companies suddenly trying to grab for market share - and every one of them was offering a pretty good product. Even the worst of the Japanese CUTs was leagues ahead of the domestic lawn tractors of the time.

Anyway, since they were all decent machines - and already close to being perfected by decades of rice farming - so you can imagine the difficulty that they had finding things to brag about. Yanmar was the top dog quality wise, and had that patented bevel gear front axle that nobody else had. Those where huge advantages, but Yanmars were also far and away the most expensive tractor of the group.

One of the things that the various brands used to differentiate themselves was 3pt lifting capacity. And they very quickly discovered that even though there was little real difference, they could make it appear that there was by taking the lift measurement at different places along the top or bottom lift arms. In effect, they were all describing about the same force but using a different length lever....so the advertised lift could vary a lot.
It's just something to keep in mind when looking at literature from that era. Make sure it is apples to apples.
enjoy,
rScotty

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity
First of all Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:

you can put the 11.2 on there as long as they have the same rolling circumference as the narrower tire, that was the 4x4 ratio is not all out of wack.
If I put new tires on the rear 9.5-24 rim, say 11.2-24, the tires will only be slightly wider but not larger in diameter, it should have the same tire rotational circumferences, or am I wrong :confused:

The rear capacity would then be between 1433 lbs (650 kg) and 1653 lbs (750 kg) and the cable winch weighs 800 lbs (363 kg), so it should be possible to lift and pulling with it. What do guys you think, feasible or not?

Here are some pictures of a Kobuta L2202dt with Tajfun 45A winch, the tractor has the same performance but 220 lbs (100 kg) lighter than the Yanmar ..

Attachments

• Tajfun45a-4.jpg
    Tajfun45a-4.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Tajfun45a-0.jpg
    Tajfun45a-0.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 68
  • Tajfun45a-2.jpg
    Tajfun45a-2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Tajfun45a-1.jpg
    Tajfun45a-1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 92
   / Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #26  
First of all Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:

If I put new tires on the rear 9.5-24 rim, say 11.2-24, the tires will only be slightly wider but not larger in diameter, it should have the same tire rotational circumferences, or am I wrong :confused:

The rear capacity would then be between 1433 lbs (650 kg) and 1653 lbs (750 kg) and the cable winch weighs 800 lbs (363 kg), so it should be possible to lift and pulling with it. What do guys you think, feasible or not?

Here are some pictures of a Kobuta L2202dt with Tajfun 45A winch, the tractor has the same performance but 220 lbs (100 kg) lighter than the Yanmar ..
I don't think you need larger tires to carry more weight, if that is your concern. And each larger width of tire has proportionally larger diameter. An online tire chart will have the specific numbers. As noted above it is important that the ratio of front to rear tire diameter is kept the same. Larger rear tires but the same front tires would stress the driveline excessively.

It is 'common knowledge' that a 3-point backhoe can tear the back of the transmission off, so 3-point backhoes are never recommended. I think driving all over the woods with an 800lb winch can stress the tractor in a similar manner. I say this because my 750 lb backhoe squeals the hydraulic relief valve if I drive over uneven ground in my orchard, a clue that I am carrying the maximum weight the tractor was designed for, and going longer distances in a logging environment could be at or beyond what the tractor was designed to withstand.

That Kubota looks much smaller than the size of tractor used with a logging winch.

I don't think you need larger tires to carry more weight, if that is your concern. And each larger width of tire has proportionally larger diameter. An online tire chart will have the specific numbers. As noted above it is important that the ratio of front to rear tire diameter is kept the same. Larger rear tires but the same front tires would stress the driveline excessively.

My rear tires are already brittle at some places and it makes the rear around 3.4 inches wider for more stability.
It would have been nice if I could changed directly to the 11.2-24 without problems and fill them right away with liquidity and frost protection .. well, it would have been too easy.

It is 'common knowledge' that a 3-point backhoe can tear the back of the transmission off, so 3-point backhoes are never recommended. I think driving all over the woods with an 800lb winch can stress the tractor in a similar manner. I say this because my 750 lb backhoe squeals the hydraulic relief valve if I drive over uneven ground in my orchard, a clue that I am carrying the maximum weight the tractor was designed for, and going longer distances in a logging environment could be at or beyond what the tractor was designed to withstand.
Makes sense. To be honest, I have not thought of it, I have assumed that everything is stable enough for this weight.
I absolutely need a winch for our 23 acres forest, otherwise I have to buy a bigger tractor and sell the Yanmar ..

This sight shows the 9.5 at 41.3" diameter, the 11.2 at 43.4 making a circumference difference of about 6.954". My opinion would be that is going to throw your 4 wheel drive in a bind.
Thank you!
How much tolerance would be still okay?
What is the diameter of the original rice tires, do you know this?

/ Yanmar YM2220D question to tire and lift capacity #30  
Lot's of opinions on this. I can tell you the Yanmar 276 manual states the front to rear ratio 1.638 to 1 and 0% run out and a 0 and 6% wear limit.
The 226 manual states the front to rear ratio 1.743 to 1 and 1 to 4% run out with 0 and 6% wear limit.
Based on that information I would say you need to be between 0 and 6% run out.

I cannot tell you what the original rice tires are. If you have the manufacturer name and information off the tire it might be available. I can tell you from quite a bit of research that manufactures do not stick together on diameters or rolling circumference.

Bottom line for me would be to stick with original sizes on a 4 wheel drive or change both front and back to maintain same ratio. Some say working in soft dirt you can get by with ratio differences. My loader experiences are mostly with fully loaded heavy loads and sharp turns. Therefore I believe the 4 wheel drive will be put in a bind no matter what kind of surface you are working on even though some may be worse than others. Just my opinion.