Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque?

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #1  

Lunarius

Tractor
Yanmar YM2220D
Hello together,

I'd like to know if the plaque on the Yanmar engines indicate the HP from the engine or PTO?
My thought war the Yanmar YM2220D with 3T84H-NB engine has 22 HP at the PTO and about 25 HP of engine power.

I was told that is not right and the tractor has only a PTO of about 19 HP and a max. engine power of 22 HP, is that really right?
Then all the data online would be wrong!

Maybe someone here can say something about this?

Thx

Edit:

Last edited:
   / Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #2  
The models that Yanmar imported and sold in the US showed the raw engine power on that engine plaque, to make it comparable in accordance with American custom for sales purposes. The models they built for the Japan home market showed the power coming out of the PTO since that number is needed to match the tractor to a rototiller - the most common application in Japan.

YM2000 (Japan) and YM240 (same tractor sold in the US) show 20hp for the YM2000 and 24 hp YM240 on their engine plaques, and it is the same identical engine.

Other models are estimated based on these known ratios.

Last edited:
   / Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #3  
The Japanese rate the tractors by the PTO horsepower. The 22hp will be the PTO horsepower and it will have around 26 engine horsepower.

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque?
Thx a lot for this informatin.
I've already thought that this can't be true.
This information comes from a former Yanmar tractor dealer.

How is the PTO performance calculated in the US, minus 15% of the engine power?

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #5  
The plate on the engine should show the HP at RPM.

I have a Japanese market tractor (grey YM2000) and it lists the Engine HP right on the engine plate. I think it also may list PTO? but on the Japanese versions its just the first 2 digits of the model number like Hoye says.

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #6  
How is the PTO performance calculated in the US, minus 15% of the engine power?

It is not an exact science but typically multiplying the PTO horsepower x 1.2 will get you close to the Engine hp. There are a lot of variables there but it will get you close enough.

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #7  
The Japanese rate the tractors by the PTO horsepower. The 22hp will be the PTO horsepower and it will have around 26 engine horsepower.
When did that start?? None of mine are...

For instance, I have a Kubota B6200, it's rated 17hp. BUT, it's really only 12.5 at the pto...

I have another Kubota rated at 41.5hp, but when you look up the power graphs, that's the PEAK hp, 35 is the continuous hp.

I'm betting the OP's tractor is 22 at the engine! AND it could easily only be 19 at the pto.

SR

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #8  
Your Kubota was sold new in the US so it was labeled, as Californa posted above, according to US standards. The 2220 Yanmar was sold new in Japan so it was labeled according to Japanese standards- by PTO horsepower.

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque? #9  
OK, now I see where you are coming from...

I've never owned a grey market tractor...

SR

/ Engine or PTO HP on the engine plaque?
It is not an exact science but typically multiplying the PTO horsepower x 1.2 will get you close to the Engine hp. There are a lot of variables there but it will get you close enough.
Thx Aaron for this information :thumbsup: