Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it?

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #1  

richriddle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 with LA853 Loader, Yanmar YM276D with YFL1000 Loader, Yanmar YM276D, Yanmar YM147D, Case 1845C
Several months ago I found a YM276D in very good condition. It's running with absolutely no issues at all. The only new parts "needed" were a set of agricultural tires since we live on a steep hill. Now someone not too far away from the farm is offering up a YM336D for sale. It looks to be in fair shape, but not barn kept like the YM276D. So the question remains is upgrading to a YM336D really worth the difference between the two tractors?

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #2  
What "difference" are you referring to? Price? Size? I would go with the better condition.

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it?
Thanks for your response. The "difference" meant size and power of the YM336D over the YM276D. The YM276D appears to be in better condition.

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #4  
If the 276 is large enough to do what you need then why upgrade. If not large enough for your needs then buy the 336. 6hp difference and weight difference is a pretty large factor. 2843 lbs verses 2146 lbs weight difference (697 lbs).

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #5  
Condition is a good factor along with size. IMO. if it's Mech. it's usually repairable but it's real hard to overcome power. For Ex. I use a 5103 JD. a few miles from my Hm. With FEL. FM. BH. BB. and it has never Hit my Hm. of 11acres. That is why I never thought of giving up my YM2000 to go to a larger unit. The only thing the 2000 doesn't have is a FEL. which I purchased a Rear Scoop for it. Which has worked better than I expected. The JD. wouldn't be able to even move hardly in my woods of about 8 acres. Even with the quick disconnect FEL.. Now if I would clear the land it would be a different story so to speak. And then the other way 35acre 17 of BH. 8FT. Squealer and the other 17 a 8Ft. Masio FM. is just to much for the Yanmar to try and keep up with. And just pulled the Receipt for my repair of the Org. Rear tires on the 2000. I had to repair them from cracking and splitting. The inserts have worked so much better than expected. Been just a little over a Yr. with out the first bit of trouble. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_5892.JPG
    100_5892.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 127
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
   / Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #6  
If you are adding it to your stable, you already have the YM147D. Maybe going a bigger step up to the YM336D would make more sense than the YM276D. And you could likely get more with a really nice machine. That said, if the 276 is that nice; you might kick yourself later for selling it. The biggest factor was already stated. If if does the job, then keep it.

I had a YM186D, and would love one, as long as it had a ROPS. My hills are too crazy to ny without one.

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #7  
I had a YM186D, and would love one, as long as it had a ROPS. My hills are too crazy to ny without one.

Just open the YM owners and seen these again. I really like this setup If ROP. is not the way to go for your Tractor. Same one's Clemsonfor talked about in another thread. My land is pretty much level but as in a previous pic. I posted of my wooded area I would never be able to use them. They would practically stay down. And if I had steep hills like In our WV. property I would have to do something if the YM. was on it. There is a few places I don't go on with the tractor. Way to steep and is up by a Ga. Hwy. and there contractors won't go there. I still push mow it and don't mind doing it!! And even in WV. which has some Wooded area these would be the way to go. And I can recall how my Grand Father stated he acquired his Ford 8n. Funk. He was a miner "Shift Boss" and one of his guys leaned it up against a tree. So he sold it. With the extended Axel that would make it difficult to do on the Yanmar IMO...

Rear Axle/Wheel Spacer Kit (Both Sides + Hardware): Yanmar Tractor Parts

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #8  
The YM336D was Yanmar's premium model for the US market. It had several nice features, including integral power steering. There was an add-on power steering kit for the 276, but it wasn't nearly as nice or reliable. Right at the end of the US market there were rumors of 336 style integrated power steeling being added to the 276, but I haven't seen one.
For use with a loader the power steering make my choice the YM336D. Would I give up an immaculate YM276d for one??? ..... I don't know....probably would if loader work was in my future, but otherwise not.
What a nice dilemma to have.
rScotty

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #9  
I intend to up grade to a little larger tractor. I need xtra loader lift capacity. But, I plan to keep my 3110D (336)

/ Is Upgrading to YM336 from YM276 worth it? #10  
Different things will be important to different people but for me personally moving up to power steering made a huge improvement in user satisfaction.

One of my applications is unusual, zig-zagging around in the orchard watering new replacement trees planted helter-skelter all over in the rows. Especially nearing harvest when the mature trees are supported by limb props. Many turns to get close to the little trees that need water are full lock to lock steering turns throughout a 6-hour run. Steering with one finger or the palm of my hand on the hub of the steering wheel couldn't be easier.

The other advantages of power steering are obvious, turning at low speed to align an implement or get forks under a pallet for example, or steering with a heavy load in the bucket. And one non-obvious, the wheel can't suddenly kick you if you steer into a rut or something. That reaction is absorbed by the steering system and you never feel it.

Ok your circumstances are sure to be different. For me, I replaced a good Yanmar with another of the same model mainly to get the power steering. The fact that this second one also had a loader wasn't as much of a consideration since I already have a loader on my larger Yanmar.

Your choice.... and I'm sure you have other considerations that are important to you.