Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #51  
Worked as a Pressroom for quite a few yrs. and I would use Ink. Makes the perfect impression on a Sheet of Gasket Paper even upside down Etc.. Then wipes right off the metal. Ink from a Pen works also depending of the size needed.

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #52  
he said he used a ball peen hammer. Never heard of the ball bearing thing. Maybe I out to keep some balls if I ever run across a bearing that big.
Noticed you 'tap tap' lightly to make out the gasket contours.
Do U also use big bearing balls to tap cut the stud holes? (an old trick I learned from an older mechanic)
I keep an assortment (like 1/2" and 3/4" in my tool box) otherwise use the ball end of a ball peen hammer.

Nice work and more than I'd like to take on these days.

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #53  
Thinking back about the question of rtv vs gasket. I just remembered this. On my k10 I couldn't get the water outlet to seal up. I used just silicone and it would hold a little while (following the proper procedure...hand tight for hour then torque down, then wait a day till you fill so it can dry) like a day or two then leak again. I used a gasket and it still leaked. I think the old one was either heavily dented or maybe deformed from many times or say a bench wire wheel or something or warped. I could not get it to seal. So I finally bought a new outlet and used a gasket with very light coats of rtv on each side and that got it to seal up where it would not weep any more. I probably could of got some thicker gasket material and cut a gasket that may have sealed it up , but water outlets for those old chevies are cheap and plentiful. So yes it really is not a one size fits all approach. do what your comfortable and can get away with.

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem
Noticed you 'tap tap' lightly to make out the gasket contours.
Do U also use big bearing balls to tap cut the stud holes? (an old trick I learned from an older mechanic)
I keep an assortment (like 1/2" and 3/4" in my tool box) otherwise use the ball end of a ball peen hammer.

Nice work and more than I'd like to take on these days.

Thx!
I used the peen to give me a location reference to use a punch set I have, but on a couple of them the peen knocked it out without the need for the punch.
I got the last join done last night. Can't get to it tonight though, will hopefully get to test run this weekend.

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #55  
ibldrc (Steve), I have been following your repair since you started, just curious to see if I could help in anyway, as I had been in my trans some years ago. Not that you needed any help, as you can see I had not posted anything, you seem to be doing a fine job! It wasn't until NOW that I noticed you are just down the road from me! (sorta) lol. My daughter lives in the 'new' Pooler, so I go that way once every couple weeks or so. Looking forward to the completion, keep us posted~ Brian

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #56  
Hey Steve, did you get everything put back in working order? Would love to see the tractor, not too many of those around here. I suppose you read my prev. post? I am less than 20 miles away, and go to pooler about twice a month, keep us updated!

Good morning everyone. Got a little more done this week. Hoping to run today or tomorrow.
I used the recommended ball bearing method on my next gasket and it works fantastic!
Had a little issue when reassembling the steering box. When I took it apart I removed the top section unnecessarily, and when I put it back together there was lots of up and down play when turning side to side.
So I had to clean it all up to see what was going on.... probably a good thing anyway.
What happened was the lower bearing had dislodged itself unknowingly, and that gave the shaft additional space. Anyone suggest the best grease to use?
PTO shaft is back in place, and I'm reassembling the gauge cluster today. Had a couple burned out bulbs I had to source too.
20171208_130002.jpg

20171208_131223.jpg

20171208_134632.jpg

20171208_154007.jpg

20171208_163310.jpg

20171215_182837.jpg

20171215_182845.jpg

20171215_182911.jpg

20171215_182922.jpg

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #58  
I used 90W gear oil when I rebuilt my steering gear. Works better than ever.

I used 90W gear oil when I rebuilt my steering gear. Works better than ever.

Instead of Grease,huh? Never heard of that, but it would be easier to service!

/ Zen-noh Yanmar 22-24 transmission problem #60  
From the pics, your gearbox is similar if not the same as the one on my YM2310D. The manual I have says to use gear oil not grease. I will tell you though, I am NOT a Yanmar expert by any means.