Tires/Wheels Options

/ Tires/Wheels Options #1  

Kustrud

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
So my YM 1700 has the original tires/wheels on it that need replaced. I LOVE the look of the Hoye Turf Package - Turf Kit - Read Description! - Free Shipping*: Yanmar Tractor Parts - but it is also $1,500.

I want something like that, meaning - a bit shorter, wider, both front and back.

Anything to look for that is interchangeable? Or anywhere else I could look besides Hoye?

**(I love Hoye and buy all kinds of stuff from them, but not ready for $1,500 in tires/wheels)**

/ Tires/Wheels Options #2  
If your ok with keeping your ag tires or rice tires or even useing those turf tires like they make for the international cubs. Big tall skinny turf tires you can put those on. Hoye also for a few hundred bucks sells rear wheel spacers. There steel and space each tire out about 3"s each to meke it more stable.

/ Tires/Wheels Options #3  
So my YM 1700 has the original tires/wheels on it that need replaced. I LOVE the look of the Hoye Turf Package - Turf Kit - Read Description! - Free Shipping*: Yanmar Tractor Parts - but it is also $1,500.

I want something like that, meaning - a bit shorter, wider, both front and back.

Anything to look for that is interchangeable? Or anywhere else I could look besides Hoye?

**(I love Hoye and buy all kinds of stuff from them, but not ready for $1,500 in tires/wheels)**

I hear you. In fact, most of us have probably been down that same road.
Wide turfs work great, but they do need special rims + tires. Hoye's price is actually pretty good. I paid at least that much 20 years ago to put some used-but-usable wide turfs on our Yanmar.

The advantage is lower center of gravity, better traction on loose dry surfaces, and noticibly more stable. Plus I just like the look. Since the wide turf tire is not directional, I reversed the rear rims to make them even wider. The fronts I left mounted normally without any spacers or reversing of the rim.
rScotty

/ Tires/Wheels Options
I hear you. In fact, most of us have probably been down that same road.
Wide turfs work great, but they do need special rims + tires. Hoye's price is actually pretty good. I paid at least that much 20 years ago to put some used-but-usable wide turfs on our Yanmar.

The advantage is lower center of gravity, better traction on loose dry surfaces, and noticibly more stable. Plus I just like the look. Since the wide turf tire is not directional, I reversed the rear rims to make them even wider. The fronts I left mounted normally without any spacers or reversing of the rim.
rScotty

Yup! That Hoye kit looks GREAT! I may just go that route eventually!

/ Tires/Wheels Options #5  
Best option on front tires and rims was at a new Yanmar dealer. Sold me a set of tires and rims for the front for about $180 total. I don't have the part number but they are in their parts catalog, come mounted. The 4 bolt front axels are still used so its the same as what was on the showroom floor. Had skinny 6-12 lug tires on it forever. 500 lb max rated. These are rated for 3200 lb and much wider. YANMAR_424_15.54fee8b985f5e.jpg Now a load of gravel in my bucket is no problem.

/ Tires/Wheels Options #6  
I know that $1500 is a lot of coin. If you keep the tractor 15 years that's $100 per year. Tires are a once in a 20 or 30 year purchase for a tractor. You just have to look at it that way. I just bought a pair of rears for my Ford. I had no choice. I'm going to be out some coin too but that's OK. If you like the Hoye option get them. You only live once. Enjoy it.

/ Tires/Wheels Options #7  
Best option on front tires and rims was at a new Yanmar dealer. Sold me a set of tires and rims for the front for about $180 total. I don't have the part number but they are in their parts catalog, come mounted. The 4 bolt front axels are still used so its the same as what was on the showroom floor. Had skinny 6-12 lug tires on it forever. 500 lb max rated. These are rated for 3200 lb and much wider. View attachment 531817 Now a load of gravel in my bucket is no problem.

Looks like the industrial R4 tires. Assuming your rolling circumference remained close?

/ Tires/Wheels Options #8  
Looks like the industrial R4 tires. Assuming your rolling circumference remained close?

yes they are very close just much wider and 6x the capacity. They are decent in the mud still and don't impact my grass.

Last edited:
   / Tires/Wheels Options #9  
Best option on front tires and rims was at a new Yanmar dealer. Sold me a set of tires and rims for the front for about $180 total. I don't have the part number but they are in their parts catalog, come mounted. The 4 bolt front axels are still used so its the same as what was on the showroom floor. Had skinny 6-12 lug tires on it forever. 500 lb max rated. These are rated for 3200 lb and much wider. View attachment 531817 Now a load of gravel in my bucket is no problem.

Tires look great! And I'm glad you got them and that the rolling circumference is acceptable. RC is a favorite drum that I keep on beating....
But I keep coming back to the price. What bothers me is that is less than half of the best price I've ever seen before for a single tire+wheel. I have no idea what is a standard markup on tires and wheels, but from what I've always seen, a price of $180 per side makes more sense and in fact would still be a good deal. But it sounds like you are saying $180 for two tires + two wheels total. Is that right? What am I missing here?
rScotty

/ Tires/Wheels Options #10  
I don’t know what to say I just went to the new yanmar dealer and said I don’t need a new tractor but I’d buy a new set of front wheels (pointing to ones on the tractor on showroom). He looked up the part number and said $90 each whick seemed crazy cheap but I did order and get them. Right from yanmar. Guy says he does order them once in a while because new tractors people want to switch out what they come with sometimes.