Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #1  

Dave2610D

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2610D
Hi all...My headlights decided not to work lately. It's a YM2610D and the fuses have been checked, but have not checked the pull switch for the headlights (low beam/high beam)....having my doubts it's the switch, but hey anything can happen you know. Side note....when I turn on the key I do have turn signals working and the three red warning lights just to the right of the key are all working properly. The light in the RPM/HR gage that is on the dash does not light up when I pull out the switch for head lights as well.

Anyway.... Scratching my head and just can't seem to put my finger on it.
Any wiring diagram so I can trace the wires and see where they go?

Thanks for reading....David

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #2  
Here is a diagram of the 276, don't know just how close it would be to your 2610. Even if you had a diagram of the 2610 it would be in Japanese and very hard to understand.

Attachments

• 2018-02-12-063722.pdf
    465.6 KB · Views: 154
   / Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #3  
a volt meter, or 12 volt test light should be able to help you locate the problem

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram
Here is a diagram of the 276, don't know just how close it would be to your 2610. Even if you had a diagram of the 2610 it would be in Japanese and very hard to understand.

This diagram will help me a great deal. I've gone over it and looks very similar to my tractor. I really appreciate that you shared this with me....Thank You Very Much ....Dave

a volt meter, or 12 volt test light should be able to help you locate the problem

Kenmac, Thanks for the advice. Did what you said and traced it to the switch and only got a 8.5 volt reading from the terminal "B" (I will have to double check)...battery reading is 11.58 v, so I am suspicious it might be the ignition switch? Thinking that perhaps something in the switch might not be making as good of a contact as it should.

Could my lower volt reading from the light switch be something else I'm missing here? Thanks, Dave

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #6  
Your battery should be reading over 12 volt, around 12.6v. 11.58 is not good.

Your battery should be reading over 12 volt, around 12.6v. 11.58 is not good.

Thank you and yes know this straight up. My point was to show the volt reading difference. Tractor hasn't been run this winter.
I'm still tracing wiring ....will let y'all know.

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #8  
Yep, charge battery to 12.6 v and then check.

/ Head Light Issue/Wiring Diagram #9  
traced it to the switch and only got a 8.5 volt reading from the terminal "B" ... battery reading is 11.58 v,

Could my lower volt reading from the light switch be something else I'm missing here?
Headlight switches go bad. I had forgotten but I replaced mine on the YM240 as part of the renovation it needed when I bought it. The 'start' position was intermittent. The previous owner had just had the starter rebuilt locally assuming that was the problem, he wasted money on that when the problem was actually the switch.

After I installed a Hoye replacement switch I cut open the old one. I found it packed absolutely solid with dead pillbugs, partly insulating the contacts.

Disconnect the battery then use a multimeter to check resistance between in/out terminals of that switch. It should be minimal, in the range of one ohm on the most sensitive setting. If one output has notably higher resistance then replace the switch.

Headlight switches go bad. I had forgotten but I replaced mine on the YM240 as part of the renovation it needed when I bought it. The 'start' position was intermittent. The previous owner had just had the starter rebuilt locally assuming that was the problem, he wasted money on that when the problem was actually the switch.

After I installed a Hoye replacement switch I cut open the old one. I found it packed absolutely solid with dead pillbugs, partly insulating the contacts.

Disconnect the battery then use a multimeter to check resistance between in/out terminals of that switch. It should be minimal, in the range of one ohm on the most sensitive setting. If one output has notably higher resistance then replace the switch.

Great advice. I've have pull out the switch with the wires still connected. I tested the voltage is a 8.5 volts while the battery is 11.56. Even though the battery is lower by 1 volt, I should in theory be getting 11+ at the wire that is supplying power to the switch, correct?

Meanwhile I have a battery charger on the marine battery that is in the tractor. I'll keep this tread posted as to what I find out. Thank you for the help California...is appreciated.