How to kill the engine on YM 1602D?

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #1  

JeremyF1015

Tractor
Yanmar 1602D
I purchased the tractor with our new house so I did not get a chance to speak with the prior owner. It is a grey market one so everything is in a foreign language. Turning the key does not kill the engine. Only thing I found was pulling the decompression lever to kill it. Any other ways?

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #2  
I would try adjusting the hand throttle, does it work? if you move it all the way forward it should cut the fuel. it might be a bit out of adjustment. when you move it forward does it slow way down? like 450 rpm.? it should die and not just slow way down.
been about 10 years since I had that model. let us know how you do.

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #3  
On my throttle sometimes I use to have to push the rod forward to make it close. That was after I replaced the Friction Disc. that was sticking. After some wear it corrected it self. I would just push it with my thumb forward. Try that and see if it doesn't cut it off.

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 116
   / How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #4  
also not the best practice to kill with the decompression lever. but I understand you didn't think you had a choice.

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #5  
If the hand throttle does not kill it and you have a foot throttle that is not fully restoring, that could cause the problem.

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #6  
The design on earlier ones, and I think this one, is for the throttle linkage to turn the lever at the fuel pump to zero fuel. Try reaching in and doing that. Then adjust the linkage, or foot throttle, so the linkage can reach zero.

I added a screen door spring on one tractor to pull the worn linkage the last bit to zero, an impatient temporary fix to get through the day until I could align the linkage back to spec.

Some tractors have a 'pull to stop' lever or a solenoid, that shuts off fuel. Not the old Yanmars. And the key does nothing. It's only for cranking the engine, and allowing the charging circuit and lighting circuit to be connected.

The compression release is for cranking it before starting. It can be used as an emergency shutdown but that's not recommended, its components aren't designed to withstand a running engine.

Last edited:
   / How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #7  
Notice the bottom picture here and the t handle right above the brake pedals. If yours has that it would be the kill cable. I believe it was a feature of the 02 series at least I know it was on my 2002D. Yanmar YM-162D - Savas Ūkis

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #8  
My Mitsu has the solenoid shut off but I also found that a wired lever on the side of the injector pump was actually a manual shut off.
Just suggesting that you could possibly have that same feature.

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #9  
Notice the bottom picture here and the t handle right above the brake pedals. If yours has that it would be the kill cable. I believe it was a feature of the 02 series at least I know it was on my 2002D. Yanmar YM-162D - Savas Ūkis

Thanks Winston! These modern tractors, what will they think of next? :)

I should stick to commenting on the pre-1980 designs. :ziplip:

/ How to kill the engine on YM 1602D? #10  
Yep, I suspect the "02" models do have some type of shutoff on the fuel line.