YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #1  

tonyg2160

Tractor
Yanmar 2310D
Just finished repainting EVERYTHING. Removed a lot of stuff..masked a lot of stuff. Before I started the project I could press the "Check" button and all 4 of the idiot lights on the gauge panel would light up. Now...my oil pressure light won't. I checked the bulb and it's good. I think I recall it lighting up briefly when starting now (I've only started it once since re-assembly). At any rate, I figure that maybe I need to check and re-seat the connector at the sending unit. Question is...where is the sending unit for the oil pressure light? Is there anything else that I should check?

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #2  
Always near the oil filter, can't miss it, a screw-in thingy with a wire attached.

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #3  
Is that switch like the earlier single-wire ones that make a connection to ground when there is no oil pressure, then go open (no connection) when pressurized?

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #4  
Is that switch like the earlier single-wire ones that make a connection to ground when there is no oil pressure, then go open (no connection) when pressurized?

It is, yes.

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght
It is, yes.

So...the sending unit has one wire that goes to ground? No pressure...goes to ground...light comes on. Pressure = no ground..no light. NO GROUND wire connection would ALSO = no light. (?) So, most likely I've just got a bad connection at the sending unit?

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #6  
I think I defined that backward. I recall tearing off that sender wire while rasseling brush.

That brought the light ON when the signal current no longer arrived at the switch.

In contrast the temp sender light is off until you ground its signal wire (or overheat).

/ YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #7  
You had it right the first time. The oil pressure switch just completes the ground to the warning light when there is low/no oil pressure. To test the light and the wiring you can unplug that wire and touch it to bare metal on the engine. Same for the temp light.

The attached section is saying do this test if the oil warning light does not come on with the engine off.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Well...It's "fixed", but now I'm confused...I think :confused2:. Apparently, the connection on the end of the sending unit was slightly corroded...just enough that in my messing around with it during painting I had caused it to lose connection. I jiggled it around and now it's "fixed". The way it was acting before was: When pressing the "check" button...no light, when starting-no light, when running-no light. The key here is the "check" button-no light. My understanding of the system is that the switch (sending unit) is "normally closed" - with a completed circuit (and light) under low/no pressure conditions. Once the engine is running with sufficient oil pressure, the "switch" is opened, causing the light to "turn off". The corroded connection effectively "removed" the signal from the system so - no light...regardless of "switch position". Ultimately...I think the "check" button is more important than people give credit for. If you press the check button and don't get an oil pressure light you either have a bad bulb, or a bad connection. I don't think this in any way "checks" the sending unit...just the bulb circuit from the sending unit. Actually a pretty simple system, but I think nowadays people think buttons and such "do more" than they do on these older, simpler systems. Nevertheless...the "check button" is an important button, but it just checks the circuit.

Last edited:
   / YM2310D Oil Pressure LIght #9  
I might be wrong but I don't think the check button does anything to the oil light on the 2310. Unless I'm interpreting the wiring diagram wrong, I think it only checks the temp light & low coolant lights (both lights would be difficult to check without this feature). Some other models like the YM1610 show the 'check light' diodes going to the oil pressure light as well but not the 2310. The oil pressure light & circuit can be 'tested' by just turning the key on. Does the check button light up your oil light now that you fixed the connection?

1.jpg

It does. When the connection was bad, only three of the four lights would glow. I knew that before, all four would glow. Now that the connection is good again, all four glow when the check button is pressed.