New owner of YM155D

/ New owner of YM155D #1  

oksanaut

Tractor
Yanmar YM155D, Yanmar YM240D
Hi everyone,

I am new here, figured I'd introduce myself. Also new to needing a tractor, to tractors, and to Yanmars. I am a new owner of a Yanmar YM155D with a 42" tiller and mower from a friend who got it from a widow of original owner and absolutely love it. It came with all manuals and sales brochure as well as original receipts and service history. Looks like it lived in a garage most of its life and was well taken care of mechanically. There are some interesting things about it, example: wires to all unimportant things like like and horn simply cut close to dash, a formed concrete block used as a weight up front. The hour meter stopped at 380-something hours, tach jumps around 0, fumes blow out of exhaust elbow, air cleaner probably has double the original flow rating due to a giant crack, body is just slightly bent in random places - all evidence and result of living on a very steep hill. But, partner and I absolutely love it - we already used it past weekend and it does so well.

Here it is after a quick rinse on Saturday:
IMG_20180520_070149.jpg

Parts are already on order for things that are easy to identify and replace.

I have so many questions!
- What to do about the air cleaner canister? Is there a replacement that is easier to source? I couldn't find anything on the forums about this, so I am thinking I could use a 2-hole stub flange with matching diameter and attach another canister to it, from a JD or similar. I think as long as I am not constricting air flow, it would not do any damage.
- Where can I find plastic plugs and gaskets for the dash?
- Is there a manufacturer that produces lime green color paint in aerosol can that matches the Yanmar's color?

I will really appreciate any advice

Last edited:
   / New owner of YM155D #2  
Try Hoye tractor parts in TX, They have new and used parts can probably help with most. Great company to do business with, just give then a call with your needs. By the way, nice looking tractor!

/ New owner of YM155D #3  
Hi everyone,

Parts are already on order for things that are easy to identify and replace.

I have so many questions!
- What to do about the air cleaner canister? Is there a replacement that is easier to source? I couldn't find anything on the forums about this, so I am thinking I could use a 2-hole stub flange with matching diameter and attach another canister to it, from a JD or similar. I think as long as I am not constricting air flow, it would not do any damage.
- Where can I find plastic plugs and gaskets for the dash?
- Is there a manufacturer that produces lime green color paint in aerosol can that matches the Yanmar's color?

I will really appreciate any advice

Welcome & Congratulations! Those old style Yanmars are classics - mainly because of the superb quality of construction. Yanmar made their tractors as good as they possibly could, without apology, and charged accordingly....

The result is that we still have a tractor that works as well today as ever and a good parts supply. And it explains why this is still such an active forum even though Yanmar was only in the USA under it's own name from about 1975 to 1990. BTW, I'm guessing at those dates, & anyone please let me know any correction.

The air filter and box on the YM155d is typically Yanmar. It had no less that two cyclonic air separators leading to about the nicest filter element anyone offers for any engine. They sure didn't want any dirt getting in their engine. I'd try to find the original set-up if you can. Yes, $$, but keep telling yourself that you can probably use the YM155D hard for a lifetime and still sell it for top dollar. They are that popular.

An excellent source for info and parts is: Yanmar Tractor Parts. Highly recommended. Might as well give them a call. Aaron posts here.
He will want to know the serial number of your tractor because there were some technical bulletins and parts upgrades during the 155 production run.

The YM155D has good parts availability made better because the next model - the YM165D used most - if not all - the same interchangeable parts but with body parts in candy apple red rather than lime green. Where did they find those colors! Anyway, I'm a YM165D owner, so we both won out.
rScotty

/ New owner of YM155D
The air filter and box on the YM155d is typically Yanmar. It had no less that two cyclonic air separators leading to about the nicest filter element anyone offers for any engine. They sure didn't want any dirt getting in their engine. I'd try to find the original set-up if you can. Yes, $$, but keep telling yourself that you can probably use the YM155D hard for a lifetime and still sell it for top dollar. They are that popular.

Thank you and thank you for advice! I found Hoye lurking this forum. I have had a really hard time finding replacement air filter housing for my 155 - already asked Aaron there with no luck. The one I have is not the pancake type that is available on website, also contains only one filter. It looks like a Donaldson G052510 metal can that had the pipe for pre-cleaner and 1.25" flange hand-welded onto it. I am pretty close to doing the same thing. What kind of filter is on your YM165D?

/ New owner of YM155D #5  
Thank you and thank you for advice! I found Hoye lurking this forum. I have had a really hard time finding replacement air filter housing for my 155 - already asked Aaron there with no luck. The one I have is not the pancake type that is available on website, also contains only one filter. It looks like a Donaldson G052510 metal can that had the pipe for pre-cleaner and 1.25" flange hand-welded onto it. I am pretty close to doing the same thing. What kind of filter is on your YM165D?

Oksanaut, my mistake. You're right; I'm wrong. Looking at some old pictures, I can see now that the air filters are on of the few things that ARE different between the YM155 and the YM165.
Your YM155D does take an air filter that looks like a pancake laid sideways and probably only contains the single filter and no cyclonic system. And it sits much closer to the engine block. So do you think yours is stock? If so, it's got to best. The 165 filter sits way out to the side, and so it also has to involve a different intake manifold or more likely an intake manifold adapter. My recco is always to stick closer to stock; also known as "Yanmar knows best". Did you get a Parts Book with your 155?

This is interesting stuff, with both of us working on our little tractors maybe we can find some more differences as well. And maybe even find why Yanmar called one 15.5 hp and the other 16.5 hp. I've never figured that out.

I'll look in some of my parts books later today and see if I can find and post pictures of the difference in air clearners.
Thanks, rScotty

/ New owner of YM155D #6  
Here is the parts manual. Looks like it could have either air cleaner.

Attachments

• Yanmar135_155_Vue_eclatee parts manual.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 139
   / New owner of YM155D
Oksanaut, my mistake. You're right; I'm wrong. Looking at some old pictures, I can see now that the air filters are on of the few things that ARE different between the YM155 and the YM165.
Your YM155D does take an air filter that looks like a pancake laid sideways and probably only contains the single filter and no cyclonic system. And it sits much closer to the engine block. So do you think yours is stock? If so, it's got to best. The 165 filter sits way out to the side, and so it also has to involve a different intake manifold or more likely an intake manifold adapter. My recco is always to stick closer to stock; also known as "Yanmar knows best". Did you get a Parts Book with your 155?

This is interesting stuff, with both of us working on our little tractors maybe we can find some more differences as well. And maybe even find why Yanmar called one 15.5 hp and the other 16.5 hp. I've never figured that out.

I'll look in some of my parts books later today and see if I can find and post pictures of the difference in air clearners.
Thanks, rScotty

I am sorry about the confusion. You are not wrong. YM155D I have has filter seems to be close to what you describe: tall 5" wide cylinder that is mounted vertically outside the hood with a cinch and is attached to engine intake with a two-hole eye-shaped flange. I have the parts book and service manual (tractor came with original everything, including purchase receipts with pricing/quotes noted in pencil). I looked up this filter in parts book, the drawing looks very similar as what is bolted onto my tractor, with the part number being 124064-12500. I can't find it for sale anywhere (and Aaron doesn't have it), which makes me worried and wonder if I should switch to pancake style (or even can do that without causing an issue).

Example of YM155D with same contraption as mine:
Screenshot 2018-05-24 09.33.12.png

I took some pictures of the flange on the air cleaner body:
33136426_10160341811530057_2616530266117636096_n.jpg33149378_10160341802130057_7557974390244114432_n.jpg

After taking it apart and looking at it closer yesterday it seems that the air that enters the motor is filtered, so I think it is ok. For now. Until I find a better used one.

/ New owner of YM155D #8  
Looking at the filter canister photo - maybe the PO hit a tree limb? It seems like it would be easy to straighten the canister and have that tear welded closed.

As you noted there is still the filter element between that crack and the engine intake so you aren't risking dirt in the engine if the weld is less than flawless.

/ New owner of YM155D
California,

From looking at it, it looks like original owner rolled it down the hill at least a few times (I got it from someone who lived on CA-35). Welded, cleaned up and painted, but we couldn't straighten out the inlet pipe, so the pre-cleaner is in the way and won't let me open the hood without being removed.

I just found an eBay listing with service bulletins showing that the air cleaner assembly I have is actually the heavy duty kind that was meant to replace the pancake thing. I think if I can find a way to connect a 2" or even 1.75" outlet on Donaldson FWG models to the 1.25" inlet on the tractor, I will replace it on the spot.

Otherwise, even with authorized Yanmar dealers, I haven't found the OEM part for any price :confused3::pullinghair:

/ New owner of YM155D #10  
If the assembly is irreplaceable I would hacksaw a notch out of the stretched side of the inlet pipe to let you bend it back to the intended shape. Then weld up this now-closed notch.

I bought my welder(s) for repairs like yours on my implements. Haven't ever had to weld anything made by Yanmar, but for example I welded on channel to reinforce the flimsy tongue on my HF watering trailer.

It won't cost much to have the seam welded after you modify that inlet to the shape you need.