226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question #1  

HappyDaze

Tractor
Yanmar 226D
Here痴 what I致e got:

Classic slipping in forward a little and mostly reverse. I致e read enough to know I知 hunting for an issue in the lower shift area and that痴 not my question.

I removed the old gasket, ordered a replacement, put it on and it made no real difference. Took it off again and I realized the old gasket and the new were completely different. The old one seems like it is a proper mate for the transmission where it bolts on, but has nothing similar to the ridges on the mating surface of the regulator case. The replacement gasket has all the right ridges in all the right places for the regulator case but only the bolt holes line up and the outer shape of the piece seems correct but it痴 different.

The old one appeared to be the problem, as it showed signs of compromise throughout. The old one also appears to be the same one in the drawing in my service manual. But it痴 different. Hopefully photos attach here...I知 not a real mechanic but I致e played one in my garage/back yard for decades and I don稚 know where to start.

Has the regulator case been swapped out? Did they just update the gasket...?

2A6C4E75-F6DE-4FEA-AB82-E965B437D6A0.jpegCB4C66D6-8547-4B29-889B-032AD8A1CECD.jpeg03156C0C-F160-4EF0-8874-1FA7ECBD49E6.jpegE78A00FD-0C27-4044-B940-16739AE3F78D.jpeg

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question #2  
Looks like the gasket is fine to me. If the problem didn't change maybe you are looking in the wrong place. Are we sure the clutch is not slipping? Does it slip mostly in higher gear or lower gear?

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question
Thank you for the quick reply. The gasket is new but see the one that was on it is different. That is part of my question, the different gasket configurations. Can they both be the right one, just an updated model...?

It mainly slips in reverse. When it does slip in reverse, to the point it stops, the pto continues turning. That痴 without a load as I have no pto driven implements at the moment. I feel like the mechanical clutch is operating properly. However it has been run for the last 20 years with the clutch pedal only allowed about 3/4 of its normal travel as the last 1/4 has been obstructed by a fabbed/flubbed aftermarket fel bracket running perpendicular to and directly in the path of the pedals. Clutch and brakes. It痴 kind of fun getting a dirty hands education of the inner workings of this thing. It blows my mind to think how did they think to do this in the first place.

Anyway... see the one in my service manual matches the one that was on the tractor but compare it to the new green one that came from Hoyer. Then even stranger is that the new one actually matches the regulator case but the old one seems to match the transmission case.
851CF877-33E3-487B-9D9D-0122B09AAAFB.jpegE866FF2B-5842-43DB-936F-2DB694B4A18A.jpeg

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question #4  
I don't know why the design changed. Maybe to apply more sealing force just along the ridges where it is needed? There must be a reason though because the new gasket would be considerably harder to make. I do know that gasket has been like the one we sent for a very long time and I have not ever heard of any problems. I do not think that is going to be your problem.

EDIT: I made a new TBN account to keep my personal farm stuff separate from the parts business stuff and forgot to log back in as HoyeTractor. Just in case anyone is wondering why I posted under this new name. :)

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question #5  
Okay, if you rule out the clutch what about the springs and relief valves in the regulator case? Have you checked them for broken springs or trash in them?

/ 226D Transmission Regulator Case Gasket Question #6  
Does anyone know if there are test ports on a PowerShift transmission to see if full pressure is arriving at various circuits?

Have you checked them for broken springs or trash in them?

None were broken but the outer one was slightly shorter than spec. My calipers are pretty beat up but there’s where they stand. Is being even a hair short enough to make it slip?

CB52A722-317F-4C95-82E9-9851C6BD2EA0.jpeg03F94E51-8720-4446-9A00-7A3B7B2A67F9.jpeg

Another couple questions regarding the gasket...

Do I need to use a gasket sealer?
If so, which one and does it get applied on one side of the gasket or both

What is the correct order to tighten the regulator case? Seems like I would start in the middle and then alternate between opposite sides around the outer then follow it again with the torque wrench...?

Bottom so it is only pushed in roughly 3/4 of the way down with your foot on it.