Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #1  

bookman51

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall 340
I had a friend who passed away. He had a 1979 2000BD Yanmar that his widow asked me to get started. It ran two years ago but he never started it again once he got sick. I have a passing familiarity with old tractors (mostly Farmalls from the 1940s and 1950s) but I am not an accomplished mechanic and do not know much of a Yanmar diesel.

I assume the battery is dead but I will take it and try charging it up. Maybe folks would be willing to walk me through what I should do next for a Yanmar 2000BD that has not been started for a couple of years. Will diesel go bad in that period of time like gas??

At minimum, I want to do no harm to the tractor.

Any ideas as to value once it is started. It has a loader out and a small box blade and small regular blade. It is located in central Nebraska. Front tires are new. Rear tires are severely cracked but usable. No ROP so probably a gray market tractor and the tires look like rice tires. Sheet metal and paint pretty good for a 4 year old tractor. The fellow was good about servicing it.

Thanks in advance.

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #2  
Around East Texas it would likely fetch in the $6000 range, likely a little higher with blades. That is in good running condition.

Unless full I would probably drain the fuel tank and start with fresh. Most wouldn't but I would pull the fuel filter, blow through it good and reinstall. Making sure all other fluid levels are ok I would then bleed the fuel system following this guide. Yanmar Tractor Fuel Filter & Bleeding Video

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #3  
Well, if it hasn't been started in that long you want to drain the fuel tank and change the fuel filter. You will also want to check all the fluids and switch out anything that looks really bad. If some of the fluids (not the diesel) look decent you can leave them in long enough to see if you can get it running but once you do they should be switched out too. I'd also run something like Seafoam through it with the fresh fuel. Odds are you are going to have something gummed up somewhere in the fuel supply system so that would be the area I would start with after you check the battery. That is just where I would start and then go from there.

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years
Around East Texas it would likely fetch in the $6000 range, likely a little higher with blades. That is in good running condition.

Unless full I would probably drain the fuel tank and start with fresh. Most wouldn't but I would pull the fuel filter, blow through it good and reinstall. Making sure all other fluid levels are ok I would then bleed the fuel system following this guide. Yanmar Tractor Fuel Filter & Bleeding Video

Thanks very much. I watched the video and very helpful. Looks like I should get a new fuel filter and bled the lines. I knew diesel could get microbes in it but I did not realize how bad it could be. Also, I had not thought about the importance of bleeding the lines. Not sure what to do with the old diesel fuel though. Very helpful Thanks

Well, if it hasn't been started in that long you want to drain the fuel tank and change the fuel filter. You will also want to check all the fluids and switch out anything that looks really bad. If some of the fluids (not the diesel) look decent you can leave them in long enough to see if you can get it running but once you do they should be switched out too. I'd also run something like Seafoam through it with the fresh fuel. Odds are you are going to have something gummed up somewhere in the fuel supply system so that would be the area I would start with after you check the battery. That is just where I would start and then go from there.

Thanks very much. Yep, looks like new fuel and fuel filter and checking the fluids (oil, antifreeze) before I try starting it. Thanks very much. Very helpful. I just want to make sure I do no harm...and hopefully help. Looks like a neat little tractor but I already have enough (if that is possible) tractors.

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #6  
My YM2000B goes a year between starts pretty routinely. I check the oil, it's always left topped off with fuel to prevent water condensation. Pull comp. release and try it. If no go, charge battery, if spins, let oil pressure build, start and go to work. I saw it last Oct. will see again this Oct. I agree on the $6,000 figure. The YM2000BD has some great features, Fuel gauge, temp gauge, 4(1) digit hour meter, hi-back seat, more sheet metal. . . .I would want $4000 for my 2wd YM2000B in N. Ga.

Last edited:
My YM2000B goes a year between starts pretty routinely. I check the oil, it's always left topped off with fuel to prevent water condensation. Pull comp. release and try it. If no go, charge battery, if spins, let oil pressure build, start and go to work. I saw it last Oct. will see again this Oct. I agree on the $6,000 figure. The YM2000BD has some great features, Fuel gauge, temp gauge, 4(1) digit odometer, hi-back seat, more sheet metal. . . .I would want $4000 for my 2wd YM2000B in N. Ga.

This evening I took the battery out to charge it. After two years it still have some juice but water in it is low. In addition to the bucket on the tractor, there is small blade, a small box blade, and a middle buster/subsoiler. I think the two blades look like only 4 foot blades. The hour meter has about 800 hours on it, but I have to think the tractor has more hours than that since being built in 1979. No roll bar. In looking, the implements would run over $1,000 when new, and they look hardly worn. The worst part of the tractor is cracks in between the lugs on the rear tires.

I am going to change the fuel filter once a get a new fuel filter and bled the fuel line. I may change the oil and take out the old diesel and then see what happens. I hope the battery charges up okay. Thanks for all the help.

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #8  
If the rear tires are cracking they will only going to get worse and then Tubes. I was able to get tire liners for mine. From Gempler. For a 2wd 2000.. I have the Org. Bridgestone which are Mud tires. With the High lugs I'll never were them out and I came within a few hundred Hrs. to rolling the Tach. over since I've owned it. You can see the Pic.. It's Gray as it can be also. A new filter would be almost a must to me. If you have a NAPA close here is the fuel Filter #3262. I also found the tire guard #9DR7 Tire reliner.

Attachments

• Tires.png
    Tires.png
    516.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
If the rear tires are cracking they will only going to get worse and then Tubes. I was able to get tire liners for mine. From Gempler. For a 2wd 2000.. I have the Org. Bridgestone which are Mud tires. With the High lugs I'll never were them out and I came within a few hundred Hrs. to rolling the Tach. over since I've owned it. You can see the Pic.. It's Gray as it can be also. A new filter would be almost a must to me. If you have a NAPA close here is the Filter #3262.

I assume that is the fuel filter #. Do you have the oil filter number too. I think the new owner can worry about the tires. I suspect there are a few more years of use, but it does need to get started in order to sell it at a decent price Thanks much.

/ Yanmar 2000BD Not started for 2 years #10  
Walmart fram PH3593A been using them for almost 10yrs.... and yes that is the fuel filter # sorry about that. Been awhile and was digging stuff up!!!