Queston about "Blowby"

/ Queston about "Blowby" #1  

Southpaw

Tractor
Yanmar 1900
Queston about \"Blowby\"

Read somthing in a book about blowby. Said if you pull crankcase fill plug and get excessive smoke rings about shot. I get no smoke from my 1900 but if you put a little fuel to her with full crankcase oil you get splatter. Is this normal???

/ Queston about "Blowby" #2  
Re: Queston about \"Blowby\"

Remember that the crank is pounding down into that oil sump, and there are oil slingers in some areas as well... Lotsa splash lube goin oninside the 'lower' section oc a block.

A little splash is ok.. and a little blowby is ok... Diesels operate at so much higher compression that you will expect to get some. I wouldn't worry unless you were pumping oil out.. or blowing your dipstick out!

Soundguy

/ Queston about "Blowby"

Thankyou Soundguy. I figured somthing is gone to happen when the pistons come down, i mean it's got to create some kind of force. I guess I worry too much.
thanks again, Southpaw

/ Queston about "Blowby" #4  

I tought that was what they called BillBoy when he was President. ooops, I'm sorry wrong forum for that kind of talk. Worn compression rings will give you blowby. Also too light of an oil won't help much either. Kinda like running 10w in the summer months. There is always a small amout of blowby due to the ring gap in the rings. That is why automobile motors and PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valves. The hose from that leads to the intake manifold and syphons the blowby out of the crankcase.

/ Queston about "Blowby"

I thank ya and what your saying JimR. Let me ask you this? I thought Rotella 15w40 was a good all around oil for any climate. Any thoughts? Southpaw