Idiot Light replacement

/ Idiot Light replacement #1  

CAT1

Tractor
1980 JD 950
My idiot lights for temp and oil pressure do not work. Can any standard guage replace these? Do I have to replace the sending units on the engine? I have a 1500D and am new to the diesel game. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for a reply.

Steve

/ Idiot Light replacement #2  
Both sending units need replaced. The oil unit you have is electrical and the gauge is mechanical. The temp gauge comes with the sending unit attached. I bought the gauges on my YM1700 from Actron, but can even be purchased at Wal-Mart.

/ Idiot Light replacement
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything different, except for the metric aspect, about interchanging these?

/ Idiot Light replacement #4  
Nothing different at all. Be sure to get the metric adapter kit, you'll need it for one, I just don't remember which one. The Actron gauges have a new part number and now are not on sale. Regular price is $34.99 now.

edit starts here.......
That price is for the 1½" gauges. They fit real nice. Do a search in the Yanmar forum for "Adding guages" (spelled incorrectly) and you'll see my pics. Or let me know, and I'll send them to you.

/ Idiot Light replacement
I found them Inspector, thanks

/ Idiot Light replacement #6  
I have a 1500 (same engine but 2wd) and replaced the gauges with Sunpro 1 1/2" set...work GREAT. I needed the metric adapter for both the oil and temp gauges.

Before you cut holes for the new gauges make sure your old sending units come out without problems.

For the temp guages just screw the correct metric adapter (2 or 3 options in the Sunpro adapter kit) in where your temp sender was. Then screw in the new temp sender included with the guages.

For the oil pressure I and others have placed a "T" (also available from Sunpro or NAPA/Autozone/etc) to allow both the pressure line and the old oil sender with idiot light for a backup. You can use the supplied nylon type tubing for the oil pressure or use copper (yes...another separate kit from Sunpro). This sounds like a lot of extra 'kits" but most of them are only a few dollars each. When you put in the metric adapter and put together the other parts DO NOT USE Teflon tape...it can clog the ol ports/passages inside your engine and cause BIG repair/rebuild problems...or so I hear. Use the cream/paste type stuff in a tube...it is usually good for up to 500 degrees.

I have included a couple pictures of mine so you get the idea. Ask if you need more help. It is really an easy project.

Peter

Attachments

• 456276-repaint oil sender.JPG
    456276-repaint oil sender.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 273
   / Idiot Light replacement #7  
This is how I did my dash...one of many options. Many mount below the dash to avoid cutting into their metal instument panel/dash. Cutting these hole was by far the hardest part! The red light is the idiot light next to the oil guage...just there in case and for extra margin of safety.

Attachments

• 456278-repaint dash.JPG
    456278-repaint dash.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 281
   / Idiot Light replacement #8  
Oops...one more thing.
When running my temp runs 160-210...I believe the temp idiot light was set to come on at about 235 degrees.

My oil pressure runs 20 - 45 when idling to working....maybe a lot higher when cold and over 100 RPM

Hope this helps

Peter