YM2002D Hydraulics

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #1  

tabnodak

Tractor
Yanmar YM2002D, Ford 8N
Am considering the purchase of a YM2002D with 1567hrs with a Yanmar 1300 tiller.

While testing the hydraulic lift and 3-point attached, the tiller raised and lowered very abruptly, sort of jerking. I also heard a loud squeal when I raised the tiller. This does not seem normal to me. I would think that if working properly, the hydraulic system should have no trouble operate very smoothly and have no problem with this tiller.

Is there a relief valve in the hydraulic system on the YM2002D? If so, what would cause this pressure relief, and is this something I should be concerned about?

If there is a faulty or weak relief valve, is this an expensive fix? Using the repair manual, could this be replaced by someone with above average mechanical skills? (I own a Ford 8N and have done most of my own work on this tractor, my cars, trucks, and other equipment for the past 30 years).

Any other advice when inspecting this tractor before purchase?

Also looking at an YM1802D. Any advise, pluses or minuses comparing the two tractors? My primary purpose will be to uses as utility tractor - FEL, tiller for trees, rear mount 5 or 6' finish mower, front mount snowblower, etc. I may want to do some commercial business in this rural area. My 8N is just not agile enough for the work I want to do.

Is the YM2002D tractor a good choice for my purposes, or do any of you have other recommendations?

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #2  
I own a YM2002D and a 1300 yanmar tiller. I can't offer much worthwhile advice on what might be wrong with the 2002 your looking at. I can tell you mine picks up smoothly with no squealing. My thought would be possibly low fluid level and picking up air in the system. Winston

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #3  
Sounds like hydraulic pickup screen is plugged or the spin on filter is plugged or the incorrect one.

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #4  
I own a YM2002D and a 1300 yanmar tiller. I can't offer much worthwhile advice on what might be wrong with the 2002 your looking at. I can tell you mine picks up smoothly with no squealing. My thought would be possibly low fluid level and picking up air in the system. Winston

Uh, Winston, you might want the check the dates of these threads you are responding to;).

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #5  
Normde I hope I haven't offended you. I am getting old and somewhat senile. I'll try to be more attentive to what I'm doing. From the number of posts you have you must be quite knowledgeable on Yanmars. On Jim from Jims' tractor post he shows my YM2002D with an engine model 3t82D-B. My tag on engine reads 3t80U-NAP. You think it possible this tractor could have different engines? Only made in 82 and 83.

/ YM2002D Hydraulics #6  
Normde I hope I haven't offended you. I am getting old and somewhat senile. I'll try to be more attentive to what I'm doing. From the number of posts you have you must be quite knowledgeable on Yanmars. On Jim from Jims' tractor post he shows my YM2002D with an engine model 3t82D-B. My tag on engine reads 3t80U-NAP. You think it possible this tractor could have different engines? Only made in 82 and 83.
He's wrong, according to the parts book. Parts book lists 3t80U-NA as the only application in the 2002/2002D. Way too much bad info floating around on the net, but when some of us try to correct it we often get slammed (see some other threads here), so much of the bad info just keeps getting passed around.