Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #1  

prdrvr4

Tractor
YANMAR 1500D
My tractor seems to blow black soot out of exhaust for about a
minute when first started. The exhaust was replaced about
50 hours ago when I purchased tractor, so it cant be plugged.
Air filter is new also.
It runs well but does blow black smoke when reved up.
Then runs clean at normal RPM (1800-2400).
I am new to diesel engines does this seem normal?
Thanks,

CHRIS....

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #2  
Sounds like your tractor is operating normally. IMHO: If fuel tank, filter / bowl and lines are clean -The smoke at start up will diminish greatly and engine will run smoother with a good fuel additive such as Power Service. It makes a noticeable difference.
It does not seem like a seepage (dribble) problem around your injectors, but after operating tractor, check to see if any look slightly fuel wet, after shutdown. (edit)-I currently use the above product in all my diesel fuel. Hope this helps.
Regards, Mark

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #3  
Well, if yours has a problem, then so does mine. My 1500D blows black smoke for a minute or less on startup, but then settles into the blueish haze mode.....mine seems to run fine, no leaks, etc....

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #4  
I wouldn't worry too much about the black smoke. My 1500D smokes somewhat on startup. I agree with Mark on using the Power Service fuel additive & keeping the fuel filter clean. These little engines will outlive most of the folks using this forum if kept full of fresh oil and filters are changed regularly.

If you had dark black smoke ALL the time it could be a sign of more serious trouble (injectors/compression), but since it's only at startup it's probably just being a 2-cylinder diesel.

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #5  
Mine primarily smokes only under heavy load. (OK, I know I shouldn't bogg it down too much). I can't say enough about the Power Service. It really quieted the engine and idle is hugely improved with the first tankfull. I drained mine dry when I got it since the fuel was several years old...the refilled with properly mixed Power Service. Good luck
Peter

/ Yanmar 1500D black soot and smoke #6  
You mentioned soot - Can rain be getting into the exhaust pipe.