Changed the front diff oil--looked like atf fluid

/ Changed the front diff oil--looked like atf fluid #1  

cfoxmd

Silver Member
Tractor
FX28D
today I was changing the front differential fluid on my FX28D. It was red when it came out--just like the hydraulic fluid (which now is 303). I put 90w gear oil in. Do they all come from japan with ATF in everything?--assuming it was atf.

/ Changed the front diff oil--looked like atf fluid #2  
cfoxmd,

Yes, many come like that. Tractors that have clean, full fluids often don't get serviced once they are unloaded here (U.S.).

Mark

/ Changed the front diff oil--looked like atf fluid
hmmm...that means I'ver run it close to 2 years with ATF in the hydraulic system and front differential. I thought ATF fluid was about a 10 weight oil, hydraulic fluid (JD 303) 20 weight and gear oil 90 weight. I guess that would make it more likely to leak from the diff, and maybe wear a little more because the oil would run off the gears more quickly. I guess my tractor didn't get fluids changed when it came to the dealer (or they put the ATF in).

/ Changed the front diff oil--looked like atf fluid #4  
There was a discussion here a while back about fluids in diffies. Many dealers reported using ATF as that is what their importer told them they used.

It was also pointed out that ATF has hyd properties.. and lubricating qualities and is designed for some gear to gear contact... though I'm not sure it was meant for ep duty where a true gear oil ( hypoid) or even a multipurpose transdraulic oil would work.

I do believe I have seen some multi oils with red die.. not sure what brand but it was a 303/hygard/134d equivalent type oil.

Soundguy