A newbie that knows very little

/ A newbie that knows very little #1  

Superman

Tractor
YM 1510
Excuse me as being a newbie..I've been reading a few posts from time to time. Never owned a tractor before..But yesterday I took the plunge and bought a Yanmar 1510D..With Brush Hog..($2500)..
This actually the first time I'd ever really seen or driven one..Couple questions as I need all the help I can..1)..Has anyone of a larger size.had a bit of difficulty with the seat being a bit tight??I can sit there but it is just a bit cramped.2) would like to find a rototiller..maybe used and how much should I pay for one?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Also the front tires are a bit checked and may need replacing..Has anyone tried turf tires as opposed to the stock tractor tires..If so would they do it again or just stay with the stock?? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ A newbie that knows very little #2  
The Japanese as a whole are small people, so there generally isn't alot of operator room. Is the seat in the rear most position? (Most have at least two positions, changed by removing a pin). There are also aftermarket seats with mounting systems that should allow you to move the seat back further. Just be careful that the seat doesn't interfer with the 3pt lift lever, pto shifter, or the 3pt top link.

Almost all gray market tractors came originally with a tiller. Most of the gray market dealers have original Yanmar tillers that will work on your tractor. They are considerably lighter than any of the tillers you will find at a tractor place. They are also much less expensive. You should be able to get one for around $100/foot of width. I wouldn't go much over 4'.

As for tires, you would be surprised how long "checked" tires will last. Most people try to run them until you just can't do it any more, because tractor tires are pretty expensive. I don't know if an equivalent size diamond tread tire is available for your YM1510D. You would have to go to a agricultural tire dealer to find out. Most turf tires are much wider than what you have now, and won't mount on the same rims.

/ A newbie that knows very little
Thanks..Hope this forum is a lifeline as never owned a tractor before.. And just bought my first farm..16 acres.. Not sure what to do with it but a guess I'll figure that out!!

/ A newbie that knows very little #4  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am getting the impression that you're kind of shooting from the hip with the questions that you're asking. That's fine, because everybody here wants to help you and see that your projects succeed.

I might suggest that before you post a question in any particular forum, you do a search for the particular topic you're interested in finding out about. Chances are pretty good that, although the topic is new to you, it probably has been discussed in great detail already.

To do a search, simply go to the top of the page and click on Search . Then you will select which forum you want to search in, or select all forums, and then type in the Words To Search For window a description of what you're looking for. For example, if you're looking for information regarding post hole diggers, you could type in "post hole digger", or "PHD", or "post hole auger", or any other term that you think describes what you're looking for. Then in the Date Range , I would suggest you click on "All Posts", as that will search the entire database rather than a specific time period. When you've filled in all the information, just click submit. It make take a couple of attempts until you use the best description, but generally you will see some very good results.

Good luck with your tractor and your projects. We look forward to seeing your contributions in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A newbie that knows very little #5  
1510D is a nice compact tractor. Like Greg says, move the seat all the way back. You can even weld extensions to the brackets for more leg room. That tractor uses a 2 point tiller setup. Should be a bracket on the back around the PTO that has two 1" holes for some pins. I sell those tillers for $300 +-. Some of the other dealers sell them also. You might fill in your personal info so we know what part of the country you are in. Tillers are costly to ship, so try to buy local.

/ A newbie that knows very little #6  
If you've got a brush hog then you've got a 3 pt hitch also...so you can buy either a 2 point hitch tiller or a 3 point hitch tiller. It is a bit easier sticking with all 3 point implements so that you don't have to switch back and forth between hitches, but a 3 point tiller will probably be a bit newer and hence more expensive. If you go with the two point, make sure the tiller hardware matches up with the specific hardware on the back of your tractor. With 15 PTO HP you probably don't want to go much wider than about 48-50" on the tiller.

/ A newbie that knows very little
Okay will do..I live in Ashtabula,Ohio..44004..This is in the farthest northeast that you can get in the state of Ohio..About 15 miles from the Pa. Border