Impossible to buy engine parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Impossible to buy engine parts! #1  

Wichita_Dennis

Tractor
Yanmar FX24D & Ford 4130
I'm writing to clear up the confusion about the issue of availability of parts for Yanmar tractors.

Every dealer who is selling used Yanmars makes it sound like getting parts is no problem.

In some cases that's true. If you need filters or fan belts it's easy.

I found out the hard way that engine parts cannot be purchased at any price for my tractor. (FX24D)

Certain engine parts may be available for certain models, sometimes - not always.

I spent $10,500 on a beautiful, nice, like-new Yanmar (with guarantee) which ran for less than an hour before the engine shelled.

The seller ran for the hills when I asked him to stand good.

Now I know why. He couldn't get the parts to repair it if he wanted to!

I've spent a year trying to locate parts to no avail. I've called, e-mailed, posted, faxed until I'm blue in the face.

Ok, it's a grey market model and I should have known better. Ok, I was stupid for trusting the dealer. Ok, I should have sued him. I wish I could turn the clock back. Are there honest Yanmar dealers out there who would have honored their guarantee? Sure.

Some parts are available for some Yanmars, some of the time. I found out the hard way that mine isn't one of them.

Over and over again dealers post replies to my messages that parts ARE available. Then when I call them they cannot produce these parts for some mysterious reason.

If I sold used Yanmars I wouldn't want to see postings like mine! It might hurt my sales! Well, boo hoo! Find me the parts (at ANY price) or a rebuilder and I'll shut up. Ernie even posted flat out lies about me, in TBY public forum, in an attempt to shut me up. What possible motive would I have to keep posting messages trying to find parts if they REALLY were available so easily?

Not a single dealer or supplier, anywhere (I've called them all) can tell me where I can get the parts. Because my engine is not sleeved and will have to be bored, I have to locate oversized pistons and rings (as well as every other part needed for a good rebuild.) Not an easy order to fill, I'll admit.

Someone resolve this and I'll be THRILLED to update my posting and RAVE about the dealer who came to the rescue.

Otherwise, I'd CERTAINLY advise anyone agains't buying a used grey market Yanmar. What, I haven't spent enough time and effort to resolve this? A year isn't enough?

What a NIGHTMARE I've gone through! if I didn't have ten grand invested in it I'd push it into the river. I should have NEVER bought a grey market Yanmar. No one in their right mind shouldn't either.

Sincerely, Dennis

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #2  
Hi Dennis-

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your Yanmar Fx24D. I've had a F16D since 1999, bought with 492 hours on the meter with a tiller for $4,000 from a re-seller in his front yard. I've had the complete opposite experience from you - it has been an almost completely trouble-free tractor (change the oil, put in fuel, change filters, etc.). An of course, I have had no problem getting parts....

...because I haven't need anymore than "filters and fanbelts". I suspect that were I ever to need an entire engine overhaul, I would be hoeing the same row as you are right now...I honestly don't know if parts are available for the engine or not (but realistically, I knew that when I bought the tractor). I'm still not completely clear, even after reading your posts, if you were made aware by the fellow that sold you the tractor what you were getting into.

It does seem to me that you are the victim here (I mean that sincerely). However, I am a bit confused as to why you say you can't find what you need. Apparently Ernie did have two parts tractors with good engines - but you would rather buy the parts and have it overhauled, even with the ungodly high quotes you were given for rebuild pricing? I'm not really sure where you're going. If it were me, and my F16D crapped out, I would follow the same path you are on. With my options exhausted, if my only choice was a used engine, that is what I would do. If you have even a little mechanical know-how and a little spare time, you can do the engine swap.

I understand that you are sour on Yanmars (I would be too in your position) and you came to the right place for help. I just don't get why now you are insisting on rebuild parts as opposed to swapping the whole engine.

Good luck with your tractor - you have my sympathy. I would suggest getting the used engine, swap it in, and sell the tractor and start afresh, chock it up to a learining experience.

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #3  
I do not understand what problems you might be having. I have rebuilt the FX24 series a couple of times. You can get rings, pistons, rod bearings, main bearings, and a head gasket. Not sure about oversized pistons and rings. If your engine shop has a clue about what they are doing, They could bore the cylinder then sleeve it back to standard size. This is only done a couple thousand times a day.
On the other hand, you could continue to whine and cry and I'm sure your tractor will be up and going in no time!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bruce Laten

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #4  
Dennis
I tried to help you out with an engine but have gotten nowhere. You can say what you want about yanmars & parts
but you arent fooling anyone on tractor bynet.
nuf said. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good example of a vietnamese recond. yanmar gone sour.

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #5  
   / Impossible to buy engine parts! #6  
Sorry, just noticed that the site is in Australia. Contacting them may get U parts.

Don

/ Impossible to buy engine parts!
Bruce:
Where is this shop you are talking about that can (1) bore & sleeve a non sleved engine and (2) get Yanmar parts?

I sure haven't found anyplace like that. If there really is a place like that I'd like to know.

Honestly, I hadn't thought of boreing & resleeving it so that I could use standard size pistons & rings. That sounds like a great idea! I wonder why, out of all the Yanmar shops & dealers I have contacted, no one else has suggested this?

If you have a shop, trained mechanics, access to Yanmar parts and experience in rebuilding Yanmar engines, my problem may sound simple to you.

As a consumer, however, it's not so easy. I've repaired motorcycles, trucks, tractors, heavy equipment and cars of every sort. I've never run into a situation where parts wern't available at SOME price - like I have with Yanmars.

Thank you for your suggestion. Hopefully, I'll locate someone who can machine this engine and resleeve it. Maybe the stock size pistons & rings will be easier to find. I don't mind waiting for them to come from overseas.

I'd sure prefer to just ship the whole tractor to someone who can do the entire rebuild.

Do you know someone who can and will do this?

Thanks. Dennis

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #8  
<font color="blue"> If you have a shop, trained mechanics, access to Yanmar parts and experience in rebuilding Yanmar engines, my problem may sound simple to you.
</font>
If others can provide you with a source for the original spec parts, any competent machine shop could do the rebuild.
With your experience with working on other mechanical equipment, the engine removal/replacement should be fairly straightforward.

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #9  
Dennis,

I think part of the reason people aren't spending the time to try to find oversized pistons is that it is so much more feasible to just swap in a good used engine. It is rare for a Yanmar to fail like yours did, so if you bought a 1000 hour engine, you could probably still put several thousand hours on it. Why do you insist on rebuilding yours? It does demonstrate your point, but doesn't solve your problem. You bought a used tractor with a used engine. If you swap in a good used engine, you are back in good shape, not inferior in anyway.

I would expect that oversized pistons would be available through a rebuilder. It need not say Yanmar on the piston. If it was the correct type pistion, correct size, ring type, pin size and type, etc, then it would work. Perhaps a JD piston would work and be available oversize for one of there Yanmar engines. I bet it is, but it would require a lot of homework as there would not be a cross-reference. You would need to find similar displacement JD/Yanmar engines and then search on JD's parts website, or call a dealer, and see what is available. Then you would order one in and make sure it is correct. It wouldn't be simple, like installing a used engine, but I suspect it can be done. What if JD doesn't carry oversized pistons for there small tractors? Then your complaint losses some steam.

It is true that on the grays we sometimes are best to go used or aftermarket. It is also true that your dealer should be doing this legwork for you and you have not been treated fairly.

So you have made your point fairly well. You've suffered from a poor dealer. Now you need to decide if you want to drive your tractor around or stay on this campaign. And bashing Ernie will get you no where on TBN. He's helped too many people and provided honest service to many people for many years.

Rtimgray, I doubt you will ever need it, but I think I have a good F16D engine in a parts tractor.

Finally Dennis, I mean no disrespect in this post. I've been dealt with unfairly before and it is so tempting to lash out and spread the misery. It just doesn't accomplish much. I wish you the best.

/ Impossible to buy engine parts! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've never run into a situation where parts wern't available at SOME price - like I have with Yanmars.)</font>

This statement would be correct if you had phrased it "With MY Yanmar" instead of Yanmars. You have a late model Yanmar and and there are not as many of those around as there are the 00, 10, and 20 series Yanmars. You were given a very viable option in the used engine Ernie has yet you act like someone owes you something. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.