Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #1  

tabmow222

Tractor
Yanmar 1300D
As a newbie I'm not sure on the correct process on getting answers here as I submitted this as part of a response on a very old thread so here goes.

I have owned a 1300D quite happily for about 4 years and am now dealing with a left front hub set of gears that are completely messed up. (major amounts of missing or near missing teeth, don't ask me how this didn't register with me before getting this bad, scraping snow on the road you don't hear or feel much!).

I've changed the oil regularly and I don't believe I have/had leaks, is the usual cause a bearing failure? The Dif and right hub appear to be in good shape as do all bearings I can get my hands on including in the right hub.

Local suppliers can't assist and from posts here I gather these can be/are hard to find.

I'm wondering if anyone can access the following new/used:

1300D w/square headlights and need 3 gears in the left front hub assembly.

1-small gear on end of axle shaft from Dif.
2-double faced gear in hub assembly.
3-larger gear in hub assembly that provides final drive to wheel.

Or will this become a 2WD 1300D, I hope not as man I love that 4WD?

Thanks.

Nick (tabmow222)

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #2  
I think Len Sheaffer and Danny Parker are the only ones that have or can get used front end parts for the 1300D. I am not even sure if FWD parts are available for the 155D thru Yanmar of America, or if they interchange.

I found all the bearings, and used gears from another 1300D. It took three months and I felt very fortunate.

Good Luck, mark

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt
Thanks, turns out that Danny Parker has all that I need.

A magical e-mail was waiting for me after checking your note.

I appreciate the help and look forward to getting this little workhorse back under its own power.

This experience leaves me a nervous about parts availability for the 1300D.

Generally, is it front end parts that are the problem as an exception or is this due to a declining population or just something to expect with Gray Market?

Nick

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #4  
I think the parts availability, or lack thereof, depends in large part to the model and it's support in the US. Some grays will have better parts availability than some US models, so I've heard... Glad that you are able to find and get what you need ! -Arthr

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #5  
Other than the FWD on the 1300D, I have no trouble locating parts for it, or any of my other tractors (Yanmars).

Mark

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #6  
Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried a front end transplant from say a 155d to a 1300d.. etc. Ratios work out?

We do stuff like fis on antiques all the time.. didn't know if this was even an option or not.

Soundguy

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #7  
I have often thought about that. Here's another spin....I have an extra 1300D transmission, axles and bell housing (all the rear parts actually) and the numbers indicated on the case and bell housing are identical to the 1401D. So, will a FWD and drive shaft change on the 1401D interchange with the 1300D? Other than the 3 cyl and wheel base, the tractors are very similar.

Since I currently have both of those models I could simply go look, but I am not out at the property right now.

I know that the 1401D FWD parts are certainly more available than the 155/1300D's.....It just can't be that simple, right?

Mark

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #8  
Mark,
I have heard before that the YM1300D and YM1401D share the same transmission and rear. That means that the front to rear drive ratio is the same. The information I have also indicates that they have the same size front and rear wheels and tires. This means to me that the front axles must have the same gear ratios, and that they are interchangable. Yanmar used two different front axle styles for the YM series. The 1510D and the 1110D have a different style than any other YM tractor I have seen. It uses the same basic tower gear design, but the implementation and style is different. The 1401D front axle is of the same style as the 1300D front axle, though may be a bit wider. The extra width could be an advantage.

The information I have certainly suggests that a YM1401D front axle could be substituted for a 1300D front axle, but I don't know whether it is a simple bolt up replacment or not. I'd love to hear what others have to say about this.

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #9  
This is what I discovered this afternoon, and please take into consideration that I measured, by myself and in a driving rain:

The distances and differences from the pitman arm and drag link would need to be lengthened to convert the FWD 1401 to fit the FWD 1300.

Front end axle width of the 1300 is 32 1/4" and the 1401 is 33 3/4"...and like you said, that could be a good thing.

As many may know, the knuckle hub assembly is a considerably larger (stronger) design on the 1401 than the 1300. and after flopping around in mud puddles outside...and the cold shop floor inside, I decided not to pull the boots off the drive line.

So I consider all of the modifications to be minimal, even if the driveline yolk had to be cut, balanced and re-welded. And I think the FWD axle swap would vastly improve the dependability factor, widen the front end....and eliminate all my fears of blowing another set of gears.

I apologize as I had a list of measurements that are washed off my paper bag and unintelligible gibberish is all that remains.

Mark

/ Happy 1300D Till Front Drive Gears Grind to A Halt #10  
Mark and others,

Interesting thread. We put a 1401D front end under a YM1300D recently.

It fits right up, but the ratio is wrong, and I mean way wrong. That puzzled us as the transmision case is the same, as is the rear end, including the ring and pinion ratio. So I worried over the 1401 and the 1300 parts books until I noticed the two gears in the bottom of the transmission that drive the power to the front end. Those gears are different. So I took those two gears out of a bad 1401D transmission and put them in the 1300D transmission and everything was perfect.

You can verify this sort of thing by checking the final ratio of the front axle by turning the front pinion shaft 1 turn and recording the turns of a front hub. The 1401D and the 1300D are sustantially off in ratio. Of course I didn't check first!

I believe we will see these front axle gears reproduced soon in the aftermarket as they are now doing for the YM1500D.

I have several 1300D parts front ends, but they all lack the needed gears. I had the 1401D with a good front end but a bad trans. All in all, it was a good thing, but it was a bit of work swapping out the trans gears.