Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this?

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #1  

RAMARSDEN

Tractor
Soon to buy
Hey, men...Been looking for a 25-30 hp Kubota or comparable compact to use on 22 acre meadow/canyon property, as well as during const. of new home this spring. Want to buy used, but haven't found a great deal as yet. Just contacted this advertiser:

"Yanmar Diesel Compact tractor, Model YM2210BD, 25HP, 4 Speed PTO, 3 Pt Hitch., Easy on fuel, Low total hours. New Front loader and 56" tiller attachment included. Great shape! Perfect for horse acreage. Can deliver (within reason)."

Would you guys consider this tractor for asking price of $6900?? Money-wise, it sounds good to me, but what will I be up against with a grey market Yanmar (1979 model, 2200 hours)? Parts? Reliability? Features? Help!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 574841-Yanmar.jpg
    574841-Yanmar.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 396
   / Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #2  
You might want to go to the Yanmar forum.

The dealer is the key. That price is quite low for the unit and a loader. What loader? You want a dealer who can and will support you. Ask him for references...at least two, and at least one of them having bought a couple of years ago. Call them. Ask to see some evidence that he can get parts...stocking is not so important as the ability to obtain.

Then consider contacting Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff, 530-528-0755.

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #3  
Dave gets another vote from me. I am in Illinois and have dealt with Dave. A straight shooter. The other price sounds good though.

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #4  
I bought from Dave and am thoroughly pleased. That's not to say that the dealer you've been talking to isn't just fine, also.

I lived in Santa Cruz for 5 years back when the 2210 was new. It's beautiful there! Got my pilot's license out of Watsonville!

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #5  
The Yanmar tractors appear to be the largest number of grey market tractors in the U.S. wich gives it an advantage over some other brands. Being an owner of a grey Yanmar youl'd probably think that I would recommend it but thats only a Maybee. After having ground metal in the tranny and having to hound tyhe dealer for over 6 months, I finally got it done $900 later and much cussing and swearing from the dealer. He went bankrupt 1 month after I got my tractor back. The Dealer is definately very important. I'm a do it yourselfer and have the ability to machine some parts myself which is both a help and a curse. See posting 1/13 "1401d driveline u-joint" I continue to own this tractor because I can fix it even when there are sometimes no parts left to be purchased. The downside is that the legwork time to fix it is sometimes astronomical. Time Il'd like to be fishing, hunting, or playing with the kids. The time it breaks is usually right when you need it. Parts that are still in production usually take 3 to 6 months to get through a dealer in the U.S. if they have to get it form Japan. (At least the ones that I have gone through) Thats a long time to be without a tractor. It is a well built tractor, probably one of the best. Ones time demands and abilities to repair it yourself should be your deciding factor. If I had it to do over again, I would not. Yet I love my tractor.

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #6  
It all depends on the model and how common it is in the US. Certain models are very common and others almost unheard of. Common tractors will have parts available either new or used. Uncommon tractors can be orphans.

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #7  
I agree. If you don't feel comfortable solving problems, with sometimes narrow support, a gray is not for you. And, as elkman has pointed out, the tractor will take up time, if repairs are needed, away from something else. I recently had a problem with my 1601... In order to resolve it, i was out in a barn in 0-5F weather while my family slept. I was supposed to be doing something else, but tractor took precedence since I needed it the next day... I'm a do-it-yourself kinda person, but I can't machine or rebuild my own parts- with that said, I'm wondering when the 'ole red guy is gonna call my number and demand something big... that alone weighs heavily...

/ Yanmar Grey Market...how risky is this? #8  
All of which comes back to dealer support. We have never let a customer down. With that said, we will not go through the same hoops for everyone else, because of the costs, or "legwork" as elkman put it, sometimes involved. So yes, it is a risk in that there is not a convenient nationwide network of support, but if you go with a local reputable dealer, it is a minimal risk. We can now get even hard engine parts (head gaskets, pistons, sleeves, rings) new aftermarket for some models.