Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive?

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #1  

warringt

Tractor
Yanmar Ke3d
My Ke-3 is supposed to be full time 4 wheel drive, but when the back wheels spin on loose material, even with the differential lock on, the fronts don't move. Has something broken?

Mark
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #2  
Sure doesn't sound right - maybe someon else will chime in here.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #3  
I know nothing about the Ke-3, but if I had your problem this is what I would do. Next time you spin the rears and the fronts don't move, try to determine where the break in the driveline is by looking to see if the front driveshaft is spinning. If it is spinning, then the problem is in the front differential. If not, then it is likely in the transmission. If there is no driveshaft, then...well, there's your problem! You could ease up against a stout tree and put the tractor in gear to look for the same thing. Obviously you need two people to do this...one to drive and one to look.

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #4  
I wouldn't suggest using a tree to get it to spin, you might tear something else up. Go ahead and get yourself 4 jack stands and a good jack. Get all 4 wheels in the air and start diagnosing.

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #5  
I don't know about yanmar,but my Honda RT5000 is full time 4x4,and when the tires start to spin it's usually 1 in front and 1 in back,hit the diff. lock and it locks all 4 together,but on the other hand I just got a IH 234 4x4 and the way I understand the book on it is the diff. lock on it just locks the rear wheels together,but haven't tried the IH 234 yet.

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #6  
That's the way most yanmar's are - the diff lock just locks the back wheels. And in 4WD at least one front tire and one back should spin....but I'm not familiar with the Ke-3.
Hope he can figure it out.

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive?
Thanks for all your thoughts. I will get it up on jackstands this weekend if the weather cooperates. The driveshaft seems to be covered, so I will try and figure out how to expose it to see if it is turning to the front diff.

Mark

I finally got some time to get it up on jackstands. The rear wheels turn and the front does not. Diff lock makes both rear wheels run together. I removed the rubber covers over the front driveshaft to expose the driveshaft. It is very similar to an automotive shaft. It has u-joints at both ends, the end towards the transmission is splined and the front is smooth with a hole for a roll pin that goes thru the smooth stub for the front differential. I will post some pics tonight when I get home. The shaft turns when the rears turn, but the broken roll pin is what makes the fronts not work. Now when I replace the roll pin maybe the reason it broke will make its self evident!!!

Mark
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Yanmar Ke-3 not in four wheel drive? #9  
"Now when I replace the roll pin maybe the reason it broke will make its self evident!!!"

I believe I would check out the front end drive before replacing the roll pin.

Here are couple of pics showing my front driveshaft.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif