Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #1  

Ben_Conner

Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
Hi

I bought a YM 1610D w/ a Koyker FEL from a local dealer who is a Koyker distributor. It worked fine for a couple of months but recently found 3 of the 4 bolts on the back left side sheared off where the FEL attaches to the tractor. He had a separate company install the FEL and brackets, and they used standard quality bolts rather than grade 8. I replaced them with grade 8, but soon found the after-market (?) bracket broke along a bad weld. Looks like it also damaged the tractor housing where the bracket attaches (see www.webworldinc.com/tractor for details).

Any suggestions on how to correct this? In the worst case scenario it looks like I'd have to replace that housing. Where can I find parts like that for a 1610D? Whether the seller is liable for this or not is in question at this point. There may be a difference of opinion--the tractor was sold 'as is', but this was not part of the tractor, per se. But that's a different thread.

Thanks in advance...!

--Ben

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #2  
You can try Fredrick's Equipment at 256-773-9951, he may have a bell housing for a 1610.

What in the world were you doing that broke bolts then later broke the mount and bell housing?

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can try Fredrick's Equipment at 256-773-9951, he may have a bell housing for a 1610.

What in the world were you doing that broke bolts then later broke the mount and bell housing? )</font>

Scooping dirt in a trench. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Nothing overly tough (that I could tell)) The welds in the bracket were obviously cold welds. The original bolts weren't the best quality, and when they started shearing, I think that put additional stress on the bell housing. Putting good bolts in should have held. Not sure what the root cause of the failure was.

Thanks for the referral!

--Ben

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any suggestions on how to correct this? )</font>

If you had a warranty then another bellhousing and bracket would be nice. However it sounds like you are on your own to get this fixed, so it might be easier to just make a better left bracket.

In your pictures it appears that twisting force on the crossmember broke the front horizontal hole downward. The rear hole has minor damage upward but should still be fine to carry downward force, not twisting force, after you tap in new threads.

A year ago another Yanmar owner asked for pictures of loader mounts. Here is what I posted in reply. (Later he sent a PM saying he had based his mounts on it.)

See the second photo in my series. There are no horizontal bolts comparable to your busted ones. Rather the vertical force is carried by vertical bolts into the bottom of the transmission like yours but the twisting force on the crossmember goes forward to a bolt under the starter, and back through a long bar to the rear drawbar mount. You might be able to fabricate a better mount based on this example and get that rig back into use. Good luck with this!

Addendum - Someone else posted this reference to Hoye's loader install instructions. The Koyker bracket there, like the one on my Great Bend, has an anti-rotational stiffener that runs forward to bolt to the frame under the starter. I think such a stiffener is essential.

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #5  
As California said, with the addition of that rotational stiffener as shown in the Hoye sequence, and depending on the cost and availability of a bell housing, you could probably drill deeper and tap the existing holes, even clear through, if need be. (I would split it, before drilling through, however). If you make a cardboard template of the additional piece you need, a good machine/welding shop could fabricate and repair your bracket to be usable.

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D
Thanks, guys! This gives me some great ideas on how to approach this. I was looking at having to r&r the bell housing but now I may not have to. I'll let you know how it goes.

--Ben

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #7  
I thought Koyker had a belly bracket that attached to the 4 bolts underneath for added stability. What model loader do you have? 110/80?

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #8  
Here's what I would do: First looking at this picture:

repairneeded.jpg

it looks like the boss on the right side has a little to work with. I would make a plate similar to this:

repair.jpg

(some welding will be needed) to the needed size and drill out the correct bolt hole locations as needed. The angled plate on the side I drew (may need to be altered to fit in that location, not an angle in other words) will attach to the bolts that was not used during the initial installation. (the bellhousing bolt below the left side broken boss and the one above it) I would go as far as removing that bottom bolt, drilling out the threads since it goes straight through and put a larger grade 8 bolt and nut and lock washer in it's place, like the one above it, a 3/8 bolt would be the next size up judging by the photo. There will be a less likely chance of hurting anything but the bolt if things go bad later. I would then either drill and bolt (if accessible) or weld this to the original bracket. Use a longer bolt for the top as needed. Have that broken bracket re-welded back on with some angle iron reinforcement and check all other welds and bolts for tightness. In that one photo you provided, the hole looks like it's a little worn from a loose bolt allowing the bracket to move around. Nothing will snap off a bolt faster then it not being tight against it's mounting surface.

I hope this makes sense, if not, let me know and I'll try and explain it better.

PM

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #9  
Also, I would go with grade 5 bolts. I had rather them shear than do damage to the housing again.

/ Repairing a bracket mount on a 1610D #10  
Koyker makes a YM1610 mounting kit for both the 110 & 80 , so ut wouldn't have been necessary to fabricate a bracket for your tractor. The kits include the correct bolts also. I would use the harder bolts. I suspect that the bolts had loosened some . Tight hardened bolts would not break or pull out the threads. If the bolts had loosened , it probably would not be covered by a warranty. I do have a YM1610d parts tractor, but I think you should be able to mount the loader using the additional mount points that others have suggested.