YM1700 normal operating temp

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #1  

Saggydog

Tractor
YM2020
Can anyone advise on what the normal operating temperature range should be for a YM1700. I just installed a temp gauge and don't want to freak by the reading when I am tilling or hogging.

Thanks

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #2  
About 1/4 way up on the gauge is good, whatever it reads. Anything over 1/2 is hot.

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #3  
Saggydog,

If I remember right; during July and August (90's to upper 90's); mine will run around 190 to 210 while using a 5' finish mower with a 30/70 coolant/water mix. Heavier loads of course will cause higher temps, but the level of the tractor made a difference too. I have a couple of hills in my pasture that I mow and have noticed that if the tractor is tilted to the left or right will make a difference in the temp as well. I have read here somewhere that the "idiot light" comes on around 235, so I make sure that I watch the gauge and clean the screen out every time I use the tractor. I plan on using "water wetter" when I drain, clean, and refill the radiator also.

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #4  
In other posts people have indicated that typical temps are around 180 to 190. I installed a temp gauge on my 1500D a couple of months ago and have observed temps up to about 210. I figure that my cars and trucks for years have typically run above 210, so there should be no problem with the tractor running in the same vicinity. If it were a problem, Yanmar engineers would have selected a lower temperature for the idiot light sensor.

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #5  
I just installed a temp gauge on my YM 1700 last weekend because my idiot light was coming on right after starting up the tractor. Anyhow I ran the tractor for a good hour or so with a box blade and the temp never got over 150. I also ran the brush hog for about 1.5 hours really hard and the gauge read between 180 and 190 it never quite got to the 190 mark. I now feel vindicated that my original assessment that the temp sensor was correct.

I also flushed my radiator and replace my pressure cap at the same time.

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #6  
I just have the idiot light on my 1602D, so I'm at it's mercy for now. But does anyone think it odd that the battery location blocks off about half of the radiator?

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #7  
No, I suspect Yanmar designed it that way.

/ YM1700 normal operating temp #8  
They designed it that way? To block half the radiator? Why would they do that, I wonder? Seems inefficient............

/ YM1700 normal operating temp
Thanks for all the info!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ YM1700 normal operating temp
Well I just ran the tiller for about 25 minutes and had a temp of about 220 on my new handy dandy temp gauge. I ran the tractor for a year without knowing whether my idiot light worked or not but the tractor never seemed hot pulling a hog for 3 hours at a time. I did drain the radiator and put new rotella 50/50 in. The old coolant looked pretty rich. I know I shouldn't be running a temp that high. Any ideas?

Thanks