Tires Tire valve stem

/ Tire valve stem #1  

meisal

Tractor
YM 1700
OK I'm a preacher. Don't know much about tractors but I do have a YM 1700 with a messed up valve stem on a rear tire.
? is: Does the tire have to be broken down to replace the stem? If not can I fix it myself or is this a job for the tire man?
If it's a job for the tire man can a regular auto tire place fix it or do I need to find a tractor store?
Thanks
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tire valve stem #2  
Are you sure it's not a tube? Any rural service station should be able to handle it.

/ Tire valve stem #3  
Depends on what is wrong. tube may have to be replaced. If it is the core you should be able to replace it without replacing the tube. Ask your local tire store if they repair tractor tires .

/ Tire valve stem #4  
What does "messed up" mean? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If the valve core is leaking, you can easily replace it. Some valve stem caps have the little slot in the top making them a tool for that purpose, but you can buy a better tool cheap at any auto parts store. If the stem itself is damaged and it's a tube type tire, yes, it has to be broken down to replace the tube. If the stem itself is damaged and it's a tubeless tire, you'll have to break the bead loose on the side with the valve stem, but can then replace the valve stem without breaking the bead loose on the other side.

/ Tire valve stem #5  
Hmmm. Nobody asked if the tires were loaded. If they are then except for a bad valve core, it's probably a job for a tire shop. If it's like my 195D, and has the original J.A.PAN Co. stems, they dont have a valve core and I suspect would require replacement.
Richard

/ Tire valve stem
Thanks for the posts guys. The tractor is at my dads house several hundred miles away right now. The way he explained it to me is: Tubeless tire - valve stem comes through the rim - on topside of rim it has a "washer? O ring? seal? whatever it is called. When you tighten down the nut it expands the seal and keeps the tire from leaking air out at the valve stem. All I know is he said the valve stem is messed up where the seal goes and the seal itself.
Sorry for my stupidity in this. I guess I'll just have to wait until I make a trip up north.

/ Tire valve stem #7  
On that type, you'll need to let the air out and break the bead loose just on the side the valve stem is on, remove the nut on the outside, and remove the rest of the valve stem from the inside. Then insert the new valve stem from the inside. If it's the same type, it'll have a rubber gasket on both sides of the rim. If you replace it with a regular rubber valve stem, it goes in easier if you lubricate it with soapy water first, and you'll need a valve stem tool to screw onto it to pull it all the way into position. Nothing to it when you've done as many as I have /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but it might be a pretty good job the first time unless you have someone with a little experience to show you how to do it.

/ Tire valve stem #8  
I would save a lot of agravation and take it to a tireshop/servicestation. On my YM2000B, what I thought was a leak around the valvestem on a tubeless tire turned out to be a thorn puncture through the tire and tube; however, the air was escaping the tube and exiting the tire at the valve stem, requiring a patch on the tube.