Coolant overflow tank

/ Coolant overflow tank #1  

chriswheeler

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 970TLB,
Looking at the parts lists for my YM 3000 and I notice that it came with a coolant overflow tank. Somewhere along the line before I got it the tank, brackets and hoses were removed. My question would be is this system be worth restoring??? No heat problems so far, I have had to add about a cup of coolant over the last year. Doesn't show the mounting under the hood, not sure where the bracket mounts. Opinions welcome. About to clean and flush coolant system and think this might be the time to add it to the system if I'm going to.
Chris

/ Coolant overflow tank #2  
As long as you check your level every so often and keep it full it won't hurt your tractor to leave it off. My fist car did not have one. Checking the antifreeze was reg maint. Now you just glance at the bottle. It is highly unlikely that it would ever spit out enough at once to hurt an animal but it is something to think about. Antifreze is harmful to pets etc...I have seen generic bottles at auto parts stores which is what I would do. It would be cheap easy fix. You don't need a Yanmar bottle. Besides they don't want to sell parts for the Gray's anyway!!!!

/ Coolant overflow tank #3  
You don't have to get the overflow tank from yanmar , there are others that sell these parts, or you can use the antifreeze that won't harm pets, people,enviroment, etc., /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Coolant overflow tank
Price isn't much of a factor, Hoye has a Yanmar bottle and new radiator cap listed under a twenty dollar bill. More of a question is it needed???? Havn't found the bracket yet but couldn't imagine it costing much from a tractor wrecker.
Chris

/ Coolant overflow tank #5  
there is a plastic piece molded on the back of the bottle that slides onto a V shaped metal piece on the rt side of the tractor. No good way to explainhow it attaches.

/ Coolant overflow tank #6  
Carquest makes a universal kit for about 9 bucks and some change. Fit fine on my yanmar 1700.

Soundguy

/ Coolant overflow tank #8  
"More of a question is it needed????"

It isn't needed; however, the fact that the radiator retains more coolant has to make it better, on the cheap.

/ Coolant overflow tank #9  
I'm one of those who feels that if the factory put it on there, it should be on there, I'd buy the parts from Hoye and put it back to factory - or go with Soundguy's idea.

/ Coolant overflow tank #10  
my ym240 didn't come with one, but i decided to get one from hoye. it fit the already installed bracket with no problem....all you do is slide it down into the bracket.

my tractor tends to run a little...thats the reason i installed it.