testing a yanmar 2000 generator

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #1  

wbaggett

I have a YM2000 and the battery will not keep a charge. I can jump start and it works fine. How do I test the Generator. I have a volt meter.

On the back of the generator, it has the Letters - E A and there is a plug that has the lettes N & F. What do these mean and how do I test it ?

I have tested the battery at Autozone and it goes dead after about 5-7 cranks. That is why I think it could be the generator or the voltage requlator. I wanted to know how to test the generator with a volt meter at the back of the generator and what kind of readings should I get. If the voltage requlator is the problem what pins to I need to test to see if I have 12volts. I have a wiring diagram for the YM2000, but it is not a very good one.

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #2  
<font color="blue"> How do I test the Generator. </font>

Have you considered testing the battery? You stated that the battery will not hold a charge.

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #3  
Yep, what the ":: D A V E
:: g a t o r b o y " said ......... check the battery first. More that likely that is your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #4  
The voltage regulators on these tractors have a tendency to go bad. After all they are 20 years old. How long does the battery hold a charge? Enough to start it once or does it go down after a week of use? If it goes dead quickly, it is the battery if it takes a week or so then my guess is the regulator.

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #5  
I'd take the battery down to my local Autozone or Advanced auto and have it tested for free and go from there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator
I have tested the battery at Autozone and it goes dead after about 5-7 cranks. That is why I think it could be the generator or the voltage requlator. I wanted to know how to test the generator with a volt meter at the back of the generator and what kind of readings should I get. If the voltage requlator is the problem what pins to I need to test to see if I have 12volts. I have a wiring diagram for the YM2000, but it is not a very good one.

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #7  
5-7 cranks.. is that 5-7 times starting your tractor.. or 5-7 rpm? If 5-7 times starting the tractor.. that's all you can expect out of it if it isn't being charged.. if 5-7 rpm.. then yeah.. bad battery.

Put the vom across the battery. check static voltage. start the tractor.. what is the running voltage. If the running voltage is higher.. preferable 13-14.7 v then the alt/gen is doing its job. Static voltage should be between 12 and 12.6 or so. 12 and less is a 'discharged' battery.

Soundguy

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #8  
Found this on a quick search for voltage regulator.

Regulator post

Look at the last post, Len explains how to check the alternator output.

Jack

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator #9  
A fully charged should be between 12.5 and 13 volts. Like sound guy said, take a volt meter and read battery voltage with tractor off. This will tell you battery state of charge. Start the tractor and raise rpms to about 1000. You should see a charging voltage at least 1/2 to 2 volts higher than battery voltage. If you only see battery voltage ,your charging system is not functioning. Is this model a generator or alternator? If it's an alternator you could disconnect the voltage regulator and apply 12v battery voltage to the field circuit momentarily, at the alt. This will throw the alternator into a full charge mode. Don't keep it full fielded to long as it may fry some wires or the alt. if it is indeed good. If you see a good high voltge by doing this,then it is your voltage regulator or a broken circuit going to the regulator from ignition. You must supply voltage to the regulator from ignition for it to get the alt or gen charging. PS: If you are only getting 7 engine revs on cranking you really need to get that battery charged up fully before testing the charging system.

/ testing a yanmar 2000 generator
I had the battery charged at auto zone. I measured the voltage before I started the tractor it was about 11.5v, started the tractor and it was still about 11.5 v. I measure the volt at the back of the generator at the "F" connector and it was 6 volts DC. I measured the voltage at the Voltage Requlator and got 6 volts(pin 1 or 3), 10.5 volts(pin2), and 11 volts (pin 3 or 1). I unpluged the 2 pin connector from the back of the generator and measured 6 volts dc at the back of the generator. Is the generator or voltage requlator at fault ?

Any other tests recommended ? Thanks...