High Oil Pressure

/ High Oil Pressure #1  

DannyV

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2200
Okay guys here is another issue I am having while brush hoggin with my ym2200. Yup the oil pressure is showing high around 110 which is making me nervous. What should I do to troubleshoot that? The oil on the dipstick is showing its right on the mark.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ High Oil Pressure #2  
More info needed. I'm not familiar with the YM2200, so is that an aftermarket sending unit, or oem? How long has it been that high, high at all rpm's, did you just install the gauge/sending unit, Is the oil really dirty? Possibly bad sending unit/gauge, dirty/wrong/too heavy oil.

/ High Oil Pressure
Need more info. Here ya go..Gauge/sending unit is original the way it came from overseas appears to be in good shape. It just sarted it yesterday while I was brush hoggin. I only use it for mowing and I am pretty sure it does it at all rpm's since it starts to go up 5 mins after use. The oil is black "real black" does that mean dirty since it was changed about 12 usage hours ago? I drained a little bit to check for any diesel fuel oder or water and didnt see any sign of it. I changed the oil/filter with Shell SAE 15W-40.
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ High Oil Pressure #4  
If it were mine, I would replace the sending unit and probably change the oil and filter again. That's the correct oil, but it shouldn't get "real black" that quick. My YM2000B has about 60 hours on the oil change and it still looks clean. Diesel tractor oil normally turns black, but that seems really quick.

/ High Oil Pressure #5  
Just for kicks.. I wonder if the filter is having a problem?

Soundguy

/ High Oil Pressure #6  
To tell the truth, this is the first time I ever heard of excessive oil pressure. I know a lot of gauges have a red area up around the 100psi mark, I guess, for a reason.

/ High Oil Pressure #7  
You say you filled with Shell SAE 15W-40. Was that Shell Rotella T? I just want to make sure you used a diesel rated engine oil.

It is also possible that the pressure regulator valve is sticking shut. But I don't understand why it would appear only after the tractor warms up.

/ High Oil Pressure #9  
Danny,

Like Greg said; make sure that that Shell oil is for diesel engines.

Did you install an aftermarket oil filter (Fram, Purolator, etc.) or did you get from a supplier for OEM Yanmar filters?

/ High Oil Pressure
Well I never thought it could be the filter, but it is possible I guess. I was told a ym240 filter would be a good match from someone on here awhile back. I then went to the yanmar dealer that will only sell parts for the american yanmars and asked for a ym240 oil filter. The oil was Shell Rotella SAE 15w-40 for diesel/gasoline engines.