Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was #1  

bandit67

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 B3000 HSDCC 2020 Z251 Zero Turn
Yanmar gurus - can\'t remember which machine it was

OK Yanmar gurus - I need a history refresher course.

Back in 1991, my dad bought a brand new Yanmar 4wd, 14hp diesel, gear drive (8,8,3?), probably one of the last years that Yanmar produced it for the US market. All labels, stickers, owners manuals, etc. were written in English.

I can't recall the model, and it's been bugging me for a while now. I'm thinking it was YM14, or something like that. It was red. It was probably more like the compact size - I think it was a bit larger than the current subcompact sizes. We had a 48" quick detach FEL, a 48" Befco 3pt tiller, and I believe it was a 60" (maybe 72") Befco RFM. It was quite a step up in the ease-of-use dept. from the old Ferguson it replaced.

It was one heck of a rugged, dependable, little machine, and I was pretty bummed that I wasn't in a position to need it, being that I was living across the country when the time came for my mom to sell it after my dad passed away. At the time she sold it, it was only 2 years old, and whoever bought it, got quite a deal on it, cause my mom was trying to unload everything due to being so overwhelmed with all of my dad's "toys".

I was hoping someone may be enough of a Yanmar buff that they can fill in the missing pieces in my memory.

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was #2  
Re: Yanmar gurus - can\'t remember which machine it was

The YM140D and YM147D are both 14hp ( engine ).

Danny

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was #3  

mighta been a gt14 too (i think)...

there are owners of all 3 models mentioned on this discussion-- anyone want to speculate further? -arthr

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was

I think it was a YM140D.

Anyone know what the difference was between the 140 and 147?

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was #5  

I rather doubt he would have run a 5' finish mower with a YM140. It's a bit too small to run the 5 footer. The 140 was a gear tranny, the 147 was a powershift. If what he had was a straight gear tranny, it could have been a YM169, YM180, YM195, YM220, YM240.... I don't know the years of manufacture for these models.

/ Yanmar gurus - can't remember which machine it was

Then it was the 140D, cause it didn't have the powershift. Maybe it was only a 48" RFM. It was 13 years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy. But I'm the one who did 90% of the mowing with it, 75% of the tilling, and 75% of the FEL work with it. I think my dad bought it so that I could get more work done faster, as the property he bought that I was renting from him was a bit of a fixer upper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I still wear the Gasparilla Festival (Florida folks should know that reference) T-shirt with the small grease stain on it from when I was lubing the FEL, and got a bit sloppy.