front wheels

/ front wheels #11  
kenmac,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I feel the same way. We had a B model JD when I was growing up that was purchased new by my grandfather that had the tricycle front end. I only drove it on flat ground, but you could move the rear tires out a good ways.

Also, if the width of the front end does not make a difference; why would some manufacturers make adjustable front ends? Is it for stability or is it for making sure you don't run over your crops (front wheels travel between rows)? I have never asked that and I am not a farmer, so I am not sure why they would.

Fig

/ front wheels #12  
If tricycle front end is more stable, why did the government make the ATV industry stop making 3 wheelers and go to 4 wheelers?

/ front wheels #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If tricycle front end is more stable )</font>

A wide front is way easier to trailer.. 1 less ramp.. unless you are one of those people that use 2 ramps to load a trike.. ( pretty scarry to watch! ).

For dishing the rims.. I guess if your tractor isn't designed for it.. don't do it. same with duals...

I see rears dished for 'safety' here all the time. used to be the standard advice... etc..

Soundguy

/ front wheels #14  
I read this thread and then remembered my tractor driving over the years. The pivot point is necessary on a wide front end to keep rear wheel traction on uneven ground. Remenber crossing a terace at an angle. A narrow front end does not need to pivot because all three wills will contact the ground. not so with 4 wide spaced wheels when i crossed a terace with my 4wd with limited pivot and I had to grab for the diff-lock to keep going. Instead of widening the wheels add weight as low as possinle. Rear tires 1/4 or 1/2 full of liquid ballast will really mabe a difference. Tractoring is only good when your drive wheels are in the dirt.