front wheels

/ front wheels #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Has any one turned there front wheels around to give wider stance? I have 3110D and turned mine around.Will I cause any problens with my front wheel drive axles because of this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ front wheels #2  
It is my understanding that widening the front end by reversing the wheels does not contribute anything to the stability of the tractor....And when doing so with a FEL it puts undo stress of outer bearings and mating surfaces.

I do it anyway.

I disassemble the front ends every 3-6 months and compare bearing and race surfaces with a micrometer and vernier calipers. I do this because I run the tractors very hard and in very swampy, clay and sandy conditions. I have had zero ware on any of the mating surfaces. I just feel more comfortable with a wider stance of all the uneven ground that I maintain.

Mark

/ front wheels #3  
It the tractor becomes wider.. I can't see how it wouldn't -not- effect tractor stability. In other words.. I think it would have to, given all othe rvariables were the same on two identical tractors, except one was wider.. etc... should make it less tippy.. as in artificially bias the COG... I say artificially, as the cog point doesn't really change.. just a sharper angle should be needed to make it come over, etc.

Soundguy

/ front wheels
I think that it would make it more stable if on the side of a hill or making a sharp turn comming off the side of a hill.If it doesn't thats ok. I just don't won't to put any stress on the front bearings , axles, etc; by reversing the front wheels.

/ front wheels #5  
Country Companies Ins ( Large agricultural insurer in Illinois) used to have a tipping demonstration with a narrow front & wide front equipped tractor. The wide front did not make the tractor tip any different than the narrow front. Since the wide front is not rigidly mounted to the tractor the rear end is going to determine at what point it will tip.

/ front wheels #6  
Why are the wide front ends mounted in a pivot and the narrow ones not? Since these vehicles don't have any suspension, why the pivot?

/ front wheels #7  
To follow ground terain.. you really wouldn't want a fixed, non pivoting front axle would you?

I'm kinda surprised that the extra considerable weight of a front axle and associated linkages and kingpin setup wouldn't offer any advantages over a narrow front end. Seems like the weigh difference alone would change the tip point on a hill.

Stability still seems like it would be an issue.
perhaps in a static tip test.. not a smuch.. but if driving, on a hill, and the narrow front falls in a hole, seems like the tractor would lurch mor ethan if a 4 wheel vehicle had a single wheel fall in the whole, as with the wide front, the tractor actually doesn't dip as low to the ground, due to the fact that the one high wheel and the low wheel are going to average the height of the tractor. In other words.. set a varrow front end in a hole.. then measure ground clearance from bottom of front of tractor to ground.. then take a wide front.. se one wheel in a hole.. measure ground clearance. Seems like the wide front will retain more clearance, as the pivoting axle is averaging the 'drop'... axles becomes the hypotenuse, ground is the long flat of the triangle, and the distance from ground to the 'high' axle is the short upright flat at 90' to the ground.. etc. More or lessa right triangle..

Soundguy

/ front wheels #8  
kenmac,

I have a 2WD unit (1700) and have done the same thing. I have read different threads saying that it puts stress on the bearings and have thought about turning them back around.

Now I read Mark777's thread about seeing no ware on his. I don't have a loader, but I do have about 100 lbs of weight up front. I might leave it the way it is.

Fig

/ front wheels
I don't have a front end loader either,but I also have weight on the front . about 150 lbs. I still don't understand why the wider stance won't make the tractor more stable. Look at the old farmall tractors with the tricycle front ends.Are you saying that my tractor would be as likely to tip as these?

/ front wheels #10  
If a warrow front wheel goes in a hole , the tractor is not going to tip sideways. If a wide front wheel goes in a hole it will increase the probability of it tipping side ways. Most narrow fronts have dual wheels to spread the chance of the whole front dropping in a hole. JD tractors have a roll-o-matic front that even out the rough terrain.