1700 rear axle housing

/ 1700 rear axle housing #1  

yannie1700

Tractor
ym1700
Hi,
I have been following this board for a long time now and have a slight problem with my 1700.
Over the weekend the stud on the left axle housing that connects the lower lift arm apparently vibrated loose and stripped the housing out. I am unsure if I will be able to fix it as in cleaning the threads as they are pretty boogered up. Does anyone have a left rear axle housing from a unit they are parting out ? or can someone supply me witha new one and a price.
thanks in advance for your help
John

/ 1700 rear axle housing #3  
I agree,this would be easier than replacing the axle housing.

/ 1700 rear axle housing
Thanks for the quick replies, I am pretty handy but have never used a helicoil any special tools needed? and does anyone know what size the threads are that go in the housing?
thanks again
john

/ 1700 rear axle housing #6  
Only the correct size drill bit needed for the size heilcoil that is used. The heilcoil kit should have the install tool included. You don't have to go back with metric. .Just use the next size up heilcoil from the 22mm bolt that is in there standard or metric.

/ 1700 rear axle housing #7  
It would be better to go back with the stock size, never know who will be working on it next..............you can buy a helicoil kit in that size too. They're easy to use, get the appropriate oversize drill to make the hole larger, run the threads in with the new tap, and when you thread in the insert, you're back to the original size, and the repair is usually stronger than the original.

/ 1700 rear axle housing #8  
I thought I had the same problem as you on my YM2000B, however, it appears my lift arm stub only backed out, just before dark tonight while boxblading. No harm done, so I just screwed it back in and will clean it up and apply "locktite" and reinstall it tomorrow and check the other side.

/ 1700 rear axle housing #9  
There is a hinge pin kit available from Yanmar to repair and re-inforce that pin, part # for Ym2000/ Ym240,, and probably YM1700 is 794240-73210. http://hoyetractor.com/ and probably all the other dealers have it. Not much spendier when you consider labor, kit and drill bit.