Oil & Fuel Gasoline in diesel fuel

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
I have two 30 gal. fuel tanks side-by-side, one is diesel the other gasoline. I went to refuel my 1401 and inadvertantly placed the gasoline hose in the tractor tank. It was no more than a pint that entered the tank. I went on and refueled with diesel not thinking much about it. However I got to thinking about the size of the1401 tank (4 gal.) and I wonder if I should drain the tank or will that small amount of gas do harm? I have not run the tractor yet. Thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #2  
I don't think your in any trouble with that amount dilluted with the rest of the diesel.

And don't feel too bad, I have done the same with even a higher ratio of gas & diesel.

Regards, Mark

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #3  
The old rule of thumb (before the days of winterized diesel) was to cut the fuel with no more than 10% gas. You'll be ok.

Consider putting some colored electrical tape on the hose nozzels. Red for gas, yellow for diesel.

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #4  
Yes I had a diesel engined car and it gelled on me, would run just a mile or so and shut off, till it got warm enough,from running, to start again and run another mile. I stopped at a station and put in a gal of gas and the next time it started it kept on running, so you aren't in any trouble at all.

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel
Thanks for the information. I wasn't looking forward to draining the tank and bleeding the lines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #6  
So where is the cutoff from ok with a little gas in your diesel to not-ok? I've seen two posts here--one where the poster was told to drain his tank, and one where the poster was told it wasn't necessary. I have no idea, and it hasn't happended to me, but I was just wondering.

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #7  
10-20% there is no noticable difference. I know that at around 40% the engine will start to run funky. At around 50% the engine will be bucky and a bear to start. Around 60% the engine will barely run. Don't ask how I know this. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif At the higher ratios, it would be best to drain the tank and refill. The injection pump uses the diesel to lubricate the pump and the gas may cause damage.

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #8  
Good to know somebody's actual experience. I guess if you end up with over 20% drain out some/all of the tainted fuel and add 100% diesel so that you never exceed the acceptable percentage. Save the tainted fuel and work it in with your regular 100% diesel fuel at a low percentage.

Of course this assumes that 2 or three tank fulls of 10-20% won't harm the engine. Guess you might void your "warranty"

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #9  
Of course this assumes that 2 or three tank fulls of 10-20% won't harm the engine. Guess you might void your "warranty

I don't think the 2 or 3 tank fulls would harm the engine, as this was used a lot in the north country, to winterize the fuel before they started selling it already winterized. I never heard of it hurting any of them, and it was used all winter.

/ Gasoline in diesel fuel #10  
OT: but, welcome back Dick. Good to see you.