tractor jumps into higher gear

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #1  

bucko

i have aym 2000 and when i'm tilling it jumps into a higher gear. I need help!!!!!!!

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #2  
More info needed. You have Hi-Lo range, 4 ground speeds, and 3 pto speeds. Jumping from what to what , under what circumstances? In any case you will need to pull the cover from a unit and inspect. It is most likely jumping from Lo to Hi range, with, or without help.

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #3  
Low on fluid maybe? Dirty pickup screen and/or filter? Can't maintain hyd pressure on the clutch mechanism? Just a guess...
Like norm said, need more info...........

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #4  
It's straight gear drive, Dave, assuming it is a YM2000. Got to be a bent/loose shifter fork or a worn/bad spring retainer.

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #5  
Now wait a minute, you're saying that a straight gear tractor can shift itself from, say, 2nd to 3rd, or even 3rd to 4th?

Or are you saying it's changing gear ranges?

Cause I'm not buying the 3rd to 4th type scenario.............

At most, it would go into neutral........

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #6  
"It is most likely jumping from Lo to Hi range, with, or without help."

Dave....Dave...Dave...Where are you reading all of this?

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #7  
bucko,

I have a 1601 that does the same thing with the tiller or bush hog attached. It only does it occasionally and when the circumstances are just right. I noticed it does it more often when making a pass, slowing or throttling down....the inertia (maybe??) shoves the tractor slightly and bumps lo-hi range shifter to the middle or all the way to high. But only once in a while.

Mark

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #8  
Sounds like an endplay issue in the trans, when the shaft is pushed forward by the implement, it could cause the fork to move.

/ tractor jumps into higher gear
I tried to hold hi lo lever down and it doesnt make a difference ! What would you do????

/ tractor jumps into higher gear #10  
I think we don't have a clear picture of what is happening to your tractor. Here are some questions that may help forum members diagnose your problem. Does it jump from 1st to 2nd gear, or from lo-range to hi-range, or is it the PTO gear that jumps from low to high? Does it jump immediately after you release the clutch or sometime later? Does it jump when you accelerate, decelerate, hit a hard spot with the tiller, or at totally random times? Does it jump only when you are using the tiller, or when you're not using the tiller also? When it jumps gears, does the lever move also? With the answers to these questions you may get more definitive answers to your question.