"factory reconditioned" Yanmars

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
\"factory reconditioned\" Yanmars

Here's an example how "factory reconditioned" can mean different things to different people.

The former (US) owner of my tractor had replaced the fuel filter assembly with a generic NAPA filter.

I wanted to get back to authentic so I went to a "factory reconditioned" importer and bought the filter assembly in the photo. I saw it stripped off a customer-return YM1500. (I'll give this importer major respect for taking back the 1500 when something failed.)

But that filter assembly I saw removed from the YM1500 had an element, and bowl, that aren't authentic for any Yanmar so far as I can tell. And that "factory reconditioned" element wasn't very clean.

So I ordered a real Yanmar element - but then discovered the real one was too long so I had to order a $10 filter bowl before I could use it.

What should have been simple maintenance here was made complex by non-standard parts, that never should have been on that "reconditioned" YM1500.

I can see why some of the reputable Yanmar dealers have run out of patience with new owners who buy elsewhere then expect them to provide free support. A tractor cobbled from various parts can be a mystery to everyone. Folks, buy from a reputable dealer with a warranty, or pay less if you are assuming the risk to maintain an undocumented mystery.

Attachments

• 750484-IMG_3186rFuelFilter2.jpg
    750484-IMG_3186rFuelFilter2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,246
   / "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #2  
Re: \"factory reconditioned\" Yanmars

If they can't even handle a fuel filter.......well.....

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #3  

Funny this should come up but my factory reconditioned ym2500 was given with a warrenty never had to use but nice anyways, my fuel filter was looking bad after bout 50 hours of use and i decided it was time to do some maintaining but when i went to unscrew the assembly the old bowl was kinda dry and cracked well i went over to my local John Deere dealer it took them 1 try on the filter and 2 trys to match the bowl and i was gone and back on my tractor working in 1 hour for $13.42 and yes i agree some should not even think about opening their tractors hood.

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #4  

Chris,
Very well stated point. Guess who gets the angry phone call when we ship a standard fuel filter for a YM2000 and it doesn't fit? The tractor seller? Nope. Us? Yep.

We now have the ROPS for your YM240 (OK, it's made for the 2000 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) $659 + shipping (OSHA approved, folds, and includes seat belt). Email me if you're at all still interested.

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #5  

LMTC,

Well who else would you blame, obviously the "factory" put the right one on. You guys just dont know how to look up the right parts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry, I coldnt resist.

It's amazing that some folks will spend the money on a tractor at one dealer then goto another for parts. Maybe they couldnt find the right one either. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When I bought mine, I understood that I would be the wrench and that there may be some improvising. It was a used tractor when I bought it, an 8N most likely wouldnnt have all the right parts on it either.

BTW, could you post a pic of the ROPS? It sounds interesting. Thanks.

Greg

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #6  

My 'factory recon' 1700 had a non oem filter assembly on it. Had to take the old filter down to napa and match it by digging thru about 10 of them and using my mic/caliper to see which one would fit.

Soundguy

/ "factory reconditioned" Yanmars #7  

You must have a good Deere dealer. I took my bowl and filter to our local Deere dealer and he sent me on my way when I said Yanmar. The jerk Deere mechanic had the nerve to tell me he never heard of "Yanmar". This was the small, in town John deere/Kubota dealer. I prob could have went to the big one but I just ordered bowl/filter/and ring from Hoye or maybe it was Fredricks.......Anyway when you are in need of a Deere product you will prob buy from your dealer but I will go to different one for my needs.....