How to get steering wheel off

/ How to get steering wheel off #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
The mitsubishi board is really quiet lately, so I thought I would throw this over here where some tractor-restorer types hang. Please don't take offense to my Mitsu question (!)

I need to get my steering wheel off on my S370 beaver....got the big bolt off inside the steering wheel, but that does not release it....any help? I am hesitant to pull up with much force, dont want to break a good steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ How to get steering wheel off #2  
Steering wheels can be very tough to get off sometimes. They are either splined on there or a tapered fit and they tend to grow together over time. Usually you can get someone to pull up hard on the steering wheel while you tap on it. Other times you will need to use a puller. Pullers can be rented at most part stores if you do not have one. Soaking in WD40 overnight seems to help slightly also.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)438-0386

/ How to get steering wheel off #3  
If there are holes drilled and tapped in the wheel, a $5-$6 steering wheel puller works great. If no holes, a $5-$6, 2 legged gear puller works great also. Both carried by any autoparts store.

/ How to get steering wheel off #4  
The best method I've seen is to loosen but not remove the bolt or nut from the top of the steering column shaft. Sit on the seat and grab the top rim of the wheel and pull toward yourself while lifting the bottom of the wheel with the top of your knees. Have a helper strike the loosened nut or bolt with a brass drift and large hammer.

/ How to get steering wheel off #5  
I have removed many the way Chuk just described. Often there is very little shoulder at the end of the tapered bottom for puller jaws to grab. The knees-hands method will work when your buddy smacks the punch and alternate to a socket on the nut with a sizeable hammer too.

Mark