Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #1  

gt14

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM146 YM165D
I have a Yanmar GT14 same as YM14 and YM146. The engine is a 2T75U 2 cylinder diesel. It takes a long time to start. I heat up the glow plugs for 30-45 seconds then try to start. It turns over fine but doesn't ever fire up. I have to keep heating up the glow plugs 5-6 times before it finally starts. When it does start it spits out lots of black smoke for the first 15 seconds or so then the exhaust looks fine. The engine sounds good after it starts also. Any advise.
Dan

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #2  
Did this unit sit unused for several years, or come from a farm with a little-used bulk fuel storage tank?

When I bought my Yanmar it had the same starting problem as yours. Power Service fuel additive made a great improvement to where it would start in a few seconds.

Then I purged the entire fuel system and replaced with fresh fuel. It has started easily ever since.

I was told the tractor had been retired from daily to occasional use some 10 to 15 years ago when the owner closed down his horse boarding facility so I suspect he continued to refuel from the same bulk fuel tank and his fuel was many years old by the time I bought the tractor. The fuel didn't seem to have any volatility and smelled like old paint thinner. Replacing it solved the problem.

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #3  
hi everyone,
new on here, i just purchased a yanmar 146, 1100 hours, with just a plow blade. decent shape, paid $650.00 for it. i too see it is not a easy starter. i will buy a magnetic block heater for it, and put the biggest battery that will fit. my question is there is a male plug coming out of the back, i am not sure what it is for, looks like it could either be a trickle charger or maybe a fuel warmer ( seeing it's right next to the fuel tank). the guy i bought it from said he didn't know what the plug was for and never used it. claimed it started good in the winter. ( i don't think so). any thoughts?

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #4  
Does it have glow plugs or an intake heater?
I had a 650 JD compact with a 2 cyl yanmar diesel that started very hard, it had an intake pre heater that ignited a small amount of fuel in the intake manafold.
Always started hard in cold weather & required the block heater but started first turn in warm.
the plug is most likely for a block heater.

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #5  
I have a Yanmar GT14 same as YM14 and YM146. The engine is a 2T75U 2 cylinder diesel. It takes a long time to start. I heat up the glow plugs for 30-45 seconds then try to start. It turns over fine but doesn't ever fire up. I have to keep heating up the glow plugs 5-6 times before it finally starts. When it does start it spits out lots of black smoke for the first 15 seconds or so then the exhaust looks fine. The engine sounds good after it starts also. Any advise.
Dan

Do you use the decompression lever? reason I ask is back when I had my kubota, It was almost Gaurantee that it wouln't start up the first time, even after glowing the plug, I got used to using the first attempt to start it just to prime and warn the cylinder, it would spurt black suit out just as you described, I would then spinn the engine over with the decompression lever open for about 15/20 sec. to clear the suit/fuel from the cylinder, and next attempt to start would fire right up, I think my kubota starting issue was due to being low in compression,;)
Unfortunatley could be the same for your yanmar,:cool:

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #6  
gt14 said:
Dan

Consider replacing the glow plugs. Had to do that on our ss with a Kubota engine and now it takes less glow time to start.

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #7  
thanks guys for the response, i have been reading that the compression was just for emergency starting, but years ago i drove a old brockway truck with a compression release and we used it all the time, and would give it a touch of ether. the plug ends next to the fuel tank, and two wires come out of it and goes to the battery, that is why i am thinking it may be a trickle charger. if it is useless, i will take it off and i can put a bigger battery in it.

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #8  
thanks, i will start a new thread, being new on here, didn't know how to get around yet
thanks again

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #9  
I would not use ether, they say here its not good and with break rings and heads. Have seen some pics of damage as well on here.

I use decomp every start unless engine is warm, it helps get oil pressure up. As for the charger just trace wires, my battery is in the very front of radiator and engine so on my machine (ym2000) that description is nowhere near my battery?

/ Hard Starting Engine Black Smoke #10  
I think having the battery charge dongle already attached is a plus its not for fast charging though! Get a HF float charger for 5 bucks and keep that battery or the next one good all winter or storage season for years to come. I have them on all my stuff but my motorcycle is the hardest one to get to so having the 2 wire flat dongle on it has been a huge asset.