low oil presure ym 2000

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #1  

garyd

Tractor
Yanmar ym2000
I have ym 2000, the oil presure light would come on and flicker intermitly and then stay on. I had the same problem with the temp light and i found a short in the wiring, repaired the wire,problem went away. I inspected the wire to the oil presure sender and could not find a short so I put a new wire in to by pass the old one. The by pass wire did'nt fix the problem, this caused me some fear so I decided to install a set of gages on the tractor the oil presure gage reads 5-15 psi depending on the temp and load. Tractor seems to run fine. I don't know what to do next? New oil pump, rebuild the motor, very costly I'm sure. Do you guys have any suggestions, what have I over looked?
Gary <><

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #2  
Gary,

Does the tractor burn oil or smoke allot? What grade and weight oil do you use during oil changes? Does your oil look thinned out or watery from diesel fuel contamination?

5 - 15 lbs oil pressure is pretty low but I would eliminate all the possibilities before I would assume the oil pump to be weak. Usually it's rod and main bearing wear that indicates low oil pressure.

Mark

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #3  
The YM2000 has a pressure regulating valve. You have to remove the oil filter to get to it.

Danny

/ low oil presure ym 2000
The tractor doesn't seem to smoke, only white on first starting then a little black for a few seconds. then clears up. The weight of oil 15-40 shell rotella last 3 oil changes fram oil filters. I hope its not rod or main bearings. The oil has looked thin though.
Gary <><

/ low oil presure ym 2000
Danny
I seen in the manual about the pressure regulator but I didn't understand.
There are shims that can be added or subtracted to increase or decrease pressure. I didn't think there was that much adjustment (40 psi)? I don't know.
Gary<><

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #7  
Is that 50-60psi all the time? I'm not familliar with what a Yanmar will run, but on alot of engines you will see 50psi when its cold or maybe at higher rpm. When at idle it will drop to 10-15psi due to oil viscosity change as temp increases and volumetric efficiency of the pump. Just a thought.

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #8  
Are you saying that you are doing extended interval oil changes? I wouldn't..

If the oil is thin.. that's aprt of the problem.

Soundguy

/ low oil presure ym 2000 #9  
I run shell 15w-40 in my ym2000 with a manual oil gauge.

Cold starts 65+PSI.

Cutting or plowing all day in 80+ deg. weather.
50-55 psi at operating rpm.
Never gone below 35-40 psi at idle.