Steering wheel problem 2210B

/ Steering wheel problem 2210B #1  

Pird

Got a steering problem with a 2210B. Without any warning or indication that anything was wrong I suddenly lost steering. Steering wheel turns with no resistance in both directions with no stops and the steering shaft turns (the part that is visible when the steering column cover in the center of the wheel is removed) but the pitman arm does not move.
My service manual indicates that I need to disassemble a mess of parts including the fuel tank to get to the problem. Looking at the parts manual (I expected to find a sheared pin or key missing) there apparently is an “old type” and “new type”. I got rained out before I could disassemble the steering wheel so I don’t know yet what I will find when I get the wheel off. I see there is a “key” listed in the parts manual just below the bolt that holds the wheel on. I do not understand what the function of the key really is. Was hoping someone who have had a similar problem might respond with what they found or what your best guess is the problem. Thanks. John P.

/ Steering wheel problem 2210B #2  
Pird,

Not exactly sure but I believe the "B" is the new type..

Some times the shaft gear (square one) breaks, and it is the gear that engages the sector shaft gear, that drives the pitman arm. I don't recall any pins in the steering box assembly - but I could be wrong.

Often water, dirt and loss of lubrication causes excessive wear and freezing temperatures, with trapped water will cause them to crack or break completely off the shaft.

Mark

/ Steering wheel problem 2210B #3  
Your ball/nut assembly is broke & you will also need a bearing or 2. i have parts or rebuilt boxes.

/ Steering wheel problem 2210B
Thanks for the tips. I found complete bearing failure on lower bearing and worn worm gears. It took a lot of patience and a good puller for this neophyte wrench turner to get that @#^% pitman arm off. John P. (Pird)