Yanmar YM1500 generator

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator #1  

AES

Tractor
YM1500
Does anyone know where to run the three wires from a Yanmar YM1500 generator (part# 124660-77990)? There are (2) yellow and (1) red.

Which two go to the regulator (4 wire part #124160-77710) and where does the other one go? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I bought a 1500 which runs good but had all the wiring from the starter to headlights pulled into the fan/belt.

Thanks,
Adam

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator
The yellow wires to ground have 20vAC and the red 40vAC

I wired the two yellow to the regulator and taped up the red. It's charging 14vDC @ 1500RPM

Anyone know if that'll get-r-done or burn-r-up?

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator #3  
Adam,

Surprised at the lack of replies...

I really don't know off the top of my head, but I'll go have a look at mine this evening... let ya know what I see.

Jake

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The yellow wires to ground have 20vAC and the red 40vAC

I wired the two yellow to the regulator and taped up the red. It's charging 14vDC @ 1500RPM

Anyone know if that'll get-r-done or burn-r-up? )</font>

Don't know about the wiring but the 14v is perfect for charging a 12v LA battery.

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator
YM1500 2nd try 75k

Attachments

• 811019-YM1500.jpg
    811019-YM1500.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 4,467
   / Yanmar YM1500 generator #7  
Looking at the wiring diagram, does the key need to be in the running position to charge the battery? I know it does for the lights to work, but assumed that it would charge even if the key was off.

I took a voltage reading at the alternator (generator?) and it read 26 volts AC. Does this seem about right ?

I removed the positive battery cable and measured 0 volts from the cable to ground while running, now I'm not sure now if the key was on or off.
I have a habit of turning it off as soon as it starts.

Tractor is at my cabin so I'll verify next trip down in a couple of weeks.
Otherwise I suspect I may be looking at a voltage regulator or possibly a broken wire somewhere between.

It looks like the regulator is mounted up under the dash on the left side.
Looks like it will be a real treat to get out, unless someone knows a trick or 2.
Maybe an offset screwdriver.

I don't suspect the battery, as it started right up after sitting all winter without a charge.

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator #8  
It appears to me that the switch can be in either position for charging.

I usually leave mine on while the engine is running. I connected a voltmeter on the downstream side of the switch. That allows me to monitor the voltage and verify that the alternator is working. After the tractor has been running a while, the voltage gets higher than I like and I turn on the headlights to prevent overcharging.

/ Yanmar YM1500 generator #9  
I think the switch has to be in the on position for the system to charge.