Turbo on YM2000

/ Turbo on YM2000 #31  
The biggest problem that I fear is that the turbo may be too large. The bike was a 600 and my diesel is a 630 +/-, but the difference is in the rpm range. The bike reved up to 10k, my diesel tops out at 2.6k. I would have used a smaller one, but I havn't found it.

Attachments

• 805172-S2400003a.jpg
    805172-S2400003a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 368
   / Turbo on YM2000 #33  
Cord, you stole my idea..... but I'll probably never get around to it anyways. I think your 1100 is similar in size to my 135. Honda turbocharged some gn500's mabye they used a smaller turbo. Did you hook up a boost (manifold pressure) guage?

/ Turbo on YM2000 #34  
My 1110 is pretty close to the 135. I just got the pyro gauge the other day, and havn't purchased a boost gauge yet. I also want to hook up a oil pressure gauge. On a larger tractor I wouldn't be concerned about the oiling system, but I only have a two quart capacity! The oiling hole on the turbo is only 3/32" so it won't steal too much oil.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #36  
I agree 100%. It is SWEET. This is something I haven't done and would like to try it out.

Mark

/ Turbo on YM2000 #37  
Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Turbo on YM2000
That looks great. Your welding is a lot better than mine. I'm not sure where you could get a smaller turbo. Perhaps you can get by with changing the vanes?

/ Turbo on YM2000 #39  
The smallest automotive wastegated turbochargers utilized here in North America are the turbos off the Volkswagen and Audi 2.0 liter gasoline engines, the Garrett GT15 and the KKK03 (their two liter turbodiesel turbocharger models (VNT15) all have variable vane and nozzle technology which requires electronic CPU modulation to control the boost pressure.)

Both of these tiny turbo models put out about 1bar boost and the turbo maps have good choke and surge characteristics. You can get them at foreign junk yards or on ebay for about $300-350 used.

/ Turbo on YM2000
I did see one on a Subaru and if I remember correctly, that motor was a 1.2L and I don't quite remember the turbo brand that was on it. I had thoughts of grabbing it, but my big hands don't quite fit in those little engine compartments very well.