Turbo on YM2000

/ Turbo on YM2000 #1  

sacguy

New guy here and first time poster. Anyway, I have a YM 2000 using it for farming. While the power seemed adequate, I was a little disenchanted with the throttle response. I had an old Mitsubishi TC05 turbo laying around and put that on the tractor. Needless to say, it was a little too big and I wasn't getting the airflow out of it (came off a 2.2 liter motor). I called around to find out if there were other vanes offered for it and ended up finding a chinese turbo which seemed to be matched for the motor size wise. Anyway, I ended up installing that on the tractor, finishing it up this weekend, and noticed a big difference. Throttle response is a lot better, tractor doesn't lug, and acts like a 35hp tractor. Just for giggles, I pulled a 2-16 plow in 6th gear and never lugged. Tried it in 7th, but it did lug a little.
I was afraid I was going to have to adjust my injector pump, but feel that it is set just fine as it runs with no smoke and when throttling up, it puffs black smoke. My temps never reached the mid point (I have a YM2000B with guages) and the motor seemed to run cooler with the turbo than without. I need to get a pyrometer to see what my exhaust temps are.
One of the things I focused on was not to modify any tractor parts, so I can put the tractor back origional if need be. I got rid of the box between the head and muffler and made my own exhaust manifolds. The piping going from the turbo to motor is black ABS which seems to be just fine. The piping from my air cleaner to turbo is also black ABS. The sizing I used on all the ABS was 1 1/2". I'll try to get pictures of the install this week sometime and post them. The only thing I did have to do, which I'm not too thrilled about, was to cut my hood and pull part of it out so it can close with the turbo hanging off it. The air cleaner is on the left side of the motor sideways and the rubber tube extends to the origional place in front of the radiator. Future upgrade is to hit the junk yard and find an air cleaner box from an import car and install that with a pre-cleaner. I also want to install some sort of PVC and get rid of that road draft tube.
Sorry for the rambling, but I am thrilled with this and if you have any questions, let me know.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #2  
Sombody here on this board will tell you that you just did a terrible thing. I won't agree with him as I too just mounted a turbo on my tiny 1110d. My problem also seems to be turbo size, but I havn't been able to find a smaller one. Do take a moment and put a pyrometer on your engine. You need to make sure those temps are not exceeding 1100 degrees sustained before the turbo. If they go over, you could risk engine damage.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #3  
What am I missing here? Why do you need throttle response on a farm tractor?

/ Turbo on YM2000
What size turbo did you get? I intend to get a pyrometer, but just finished it up and haven't found a pyrometer yet. My fabbed up exhaust pipe before the turbo hasn't changed colors and doesn't feel that warm, but I agree, it's hard to tell the temps without a guage. I ran it about 3 hours yesterday pulling the plow and it ran strong all day.

/ Turbo on YM2000
The motor revs up a little smoother, runs smoother, pulls smoother, and, for instance, when I'm plowing, if I hit a harder piece of ground, I can throttle out if it and not bog down. I don't mean to sound like it has turned into a hot rod, but the tractor just responds a lot better under load. I guess it is like comparing a 50 hp tractor pulling a 4' brush hog-the tractor just doesn't seem to mind the load.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #6  
wow!.....I gotta see pic's of this.....

/ Turbo on YM2000
This is the turbo I installed. I believe the Japanese version is IHI. I bought the turbo from a place in Sacramento which installs turbos and they told me that one guy put one on his Harley. They gave me advise on installing it. One of the nice things about it is that I can adjust the waste gate for very little boost or a lot of boost. I have mine set for about 3psi. Works very well and I doubt I will even deviate from that setting

Attachments

• 803906-RHB5a[1].jpg
    803906-RHB5a[1].jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 777
   / Turbo on YM2000
I'll get some this week and post them. I had to make the wife mad at me so she would kick me out of the house and give me time to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Turbo on YM2000
Here's the exhaust side of the turbo. Notice the wastegate and the linkage is threaded (adjustable). I did have to fab an exhaust manifold to go over the wastegate and exhaust from the turbo.

Attachments

• 803931-RHB5c.jpg
    803931-RHB5c.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 722
   / Turbo on YM2000 #10  
Any pics of it installed??
Would love to see it!

KO