lighting

/ lighting #1  

todda323

Bronze Member
Tractor
yanmar1700bd
another question for the omnipiant members of tbn. any one know if a 1700bd electrical system will hold a pair of 55w aux lights while running the head lamps or will that put too much strain on the elect. system.

/ lighting #2  
Two 55W lamps will draw about 10 amps from the battery. I know the alternator on my 1500D won't keep up with that. I doubt the 1700's will, either. It should be ok for short-time use if you run it enough during daylight hours to recharge the battery. You might have to run heavier wires in the harness, though. As I recall, for a 10 amp load you should use about 16AWG wire or larger.

/ lighting
how possible would it be to put a heavier alt on. if so what should i look for to put on? would be nice to be able to run a pair of aux lights and maybe a ele winch on the front for various land scaping ventures this summer

/ lighting #4  
I dropped a small hitachi alternator on my 1700 with -0- problems. Used same belt and all. Used the v-reg from an old chrysler. Had 35a available for working...

Soundguy

/ lighting #5  
Soundguy,

Do you have particulars on those two parts you installed on your 1700? My alternator is bad and would like to do ahead and upgrade the alternator and regulator on my 1700.

Newton

/ lighting #6  
It had a hitachi alternator on it from a previous owner, and my rebuild shop just handed me a 'will-fit' replacement they had collecting dust on the shelf. Was an old unit, evidenced by it needing an old style external mechanical regulator... Any good alt/genny/starter shop should be able to come up with something with the right mounting ears, pulley, and regulator.

Sorry, but my unit has no number on it that I can find.

Soundguy