Tiller Questions

/ Tiller Questions #1  

ym2610

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2610
Going to TT this weekend to look for a tiller, they have super nice people, but what do I need to look for, what is the weak spots in yanmar tillers, if any, one last question what size or model do I need to look at. Thanks Robert

/ Tiller Questions #2  
The nut behind the wheel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, they are well made. Biggest problem we see is operators trying to excavate with them rather than till. Treat it decently and it will serve you long and well. If TT is Tullahoma, yes, they are good folks. I have met Charlie B., one of the owners, and in fact spent a couple of days with him as we discussed ways to make this market better for both consumer and dealer.

/ Tiller Questions #3  
I have a YM2000 and use a 52" Bush Hog tiller. It does a great job in the sandy, clay soil in SC. LMTC is right that you should use the tiller for what it is, and not as a digging tool. In my opinion, you shoud get a tiller that can be offset or is wide enough so that you don't leave tire tracks and compact the soil you just tilled.

/ Tiller Questions
Hey Wayne I know that nut your talking about, it is me on my tractor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, yeah TT is Tullahoma Tractor, and Charlie is a super nice guy, talked with him a lot before I bought my tractor, never failed to answer any question I had. going tomorrow to talk to them about a tiller. Thanks Wayne and edmartin for the info. Robert

/ Tiller Questions #5  
I have an RS1400 that I use behind my YM2000. The wheels have been turned to give me a wider stance and the tiller still covers the tracks. I think its the perfect size for this tractor.

I would recomend that you go there with the understanding that these are used and may not have been painted or repaired in any way....At least thats what I saw at my dealer...Try to pick one that has the rear wheels on it still and no leaks. The dealer should give you the driveshaft and upper mount for the 3pt(it relocates it).. I would also ask if they can throw in some replacement tines, the used one will likely be missing some anyhow..

Again, this is what I ran into when buying mine and it was a great investment..

/ Tiller Questions #6  
I would like to add my testimonial to the Yanmar tillers.

While preparing and elevating a 60' x 80' site before a 6" slab was poured, and during wet, nasty weather, I used my RS1300 tiller to mix 2500# of lime, 300 Yards of clay soil, and 100 yards of crushed concrete.

Fully expecting that I had sacrificed my tiller to meet deadlines for forming, rebar, moisture barrier and concrete trucks, and running it 10 hours the first day, and 12 hours the second...I knew that I would destroy the implement...but nothing else would work, including a Deere DZ3 dozer. The RS tiller did a fantastic job, and drivers from the dump trucks stood around and watched 10 to 15 minutes at a time, as they had never witnessed anything that mixed and fluffed heavy material such as this.

The tiller, after changing the gear oil and repainting it, is now retired to mixing mulch and compost behind my YM1401D.

I would never (ever) recommend someone do this with their tiller....Just stating that I did and I can personally attest to their strength and reliability.

Mark

Attachments

• 813894-1401D 006 (Small) (7).jpg
    813894-1401D 006 (Small) (7).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 355
   / Tiller Questions
Thanks everybody, and Mark I just knew you were going to say, the blades broke off and the gear box is in a million pieces /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, they sound very tuff, I don't think I will every have to do what you did, but if they can take that, a good one should last a very long time. ok one last question HGM said he has a RS1400 and you have a RS1300 what is the difference. Thanks Robert

/ Tiller Questions #8  
Robert,

Sorry I'm not sure of the differences...maybe smaller and less features? Mine is approximately 44" wide and utilizes a 2PH, perhaps lighter duty?

The composition of the soil was so abrasive that it was not necessary to 'prep' for prime and paint...just power wash, as the underside and tines were polished to bright metal.

Mark

/ Tiller Questions #9  
The 1300 is 53" wide
the 1400 is 57" wide
Ern.

/ Tiller Questions #10  
My 1400 is 48"( if I remember right).. Its a 3pt and has the wheels on the back. Other than that it looks just like Marks. I too believe its mostly a size thing. Your dealer should be able to help more on that.

Ernie might have me there, I didnt thinnk it was that big, but he shold know.. I'll measure mine this afternoon, but you might have one by then.