fx32d starting problem

/ fx32d starting problem #1  

wendelin

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 185
I have a yanmar FX32D that starts hard. The other day it was about 52 degrees in my shop. The tractor turns over and white smoke comes out the exhaust. Sometime it will spit and sputter, but I have to crank on it a while before it will start. I had the battery tested awhile back and it was good. I had a simular problem with my diesel pickup. It turned out to be my starter on my pickup. Do you think its the starter or the tractor??? Can the starter be tested? Can the starter be rebuilt? Or do I need to buy a new one? I had problems with in not starting at all last summer. That problem turned out to be the starter sillinoid. Sorry for the spelling. The dealer sent me one from a fx28d said that it would work fine. Could this be the problem?
thanks for all your help
wendelin

/ fx32d starting problem #2  
Sounds like the glow plugs are not all working correctly.

/ fx32d starting problem #3  
I had an FX32 that did the same thing as yours.
It turned out to be the glow plugs as bruce already mentioned.
I changed them & varoom !! fixed

/ fx32d starting problem #4  
As soon as I started reading this thread I thought of the Fx32 Ernie had troubles with. Glad to see he beat me to the post.

Do wonder why at 50° there was a need for the glow plugs? My Fx24 can start without them down to about 40°.

Hope the glow plugs do the job.

/ fx32d starting problem
What should I expect to pay for glow plugs? Where can I get them? John Deere? How hard are they to replace? Are they located inside the valve cover in the head?
thanks for the great help

/ fx32d starting problem
What should I expect to pay for glow plugs? Where can I get them? John Deere? Does anyone have a part number? How hard are they to replace? Are they located inside the valve cover in the head?
thanks for the great help

/ fx32d starting problem #7  
They are located screwed into the head outside the valve cover. You can get them here from most dealers. There are 4 of them, 1 for each cylinder.

/ fx32d starting problem
Can I use a test light to test them?
thanks again
wendelin

I love this site

/ fx32d starting problem #9  
You can not test the plugs themselves with a light. The only thing a light will tell you is if you are getting power to the plugs.

With a meter and the specs, you could do a better job of testing the plugs while still screwed into the head but it would be better to remove them first. When removed you could apply power and check to see if they get HOT. If you were to find one plug bad, I'd still replace all of them as the rest is likely to start failing shortly.

YMMV

/ fx32d starting problem #10  
Connect the test light to the positive side of the battery. Dissconect each individual glow plug. When you touch the top of the glow plug with the test light, it should light up. The resistance in a good plug will be enough to make the circuit.