2000BD 4 wheel drive working?

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #1  

FL_Jerry

Silver Member
Tractor
YM 2000
What is the easiest way to check to see if my 4 wheel drive is actually working?
The reason I ask is during my post purchase fluid change/loader install, I found that the front axle/diff was out of oil. Well the right side top"bolt" has a tiny dipstick in it that didn't have anything on it. I filled it up with 90W and found previous posts on what the options are...fix seal or much thicker oil. My question is how can I tell if I'm ok? I didn't use 4w drive what little time I've ran it.
One thing the previous threads didn't say: Where is the most likely leak location? Is it where the drive shaft enters the diff?

Thanks
Jerry

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #2  
The easiest way is to use the tractor in an environment that requires 4wd- mud, snow, ice, loose gravel, etc. If you have a box blade go get it full of dirt and see if the front wheels pull. Sometimes you can see the front wheels slip if you turn really sharp too. The most common place for a leak is in the knuckle seal - the biggest seal on the tractor. It seals the front gearboxes where they pivot when you steer.

Hope this helps,
Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #3  
I've seen several also leak from the wheel seal. If you see a spray pattern on the rim, this will help locate the leak. Either way, you have to take the knuckle apart to access the axle seal, so you might as well do the knuckle seal. I resealed my axle with a couple of new bearings for just over a bill. All of the seals and bearings were commonly available from a good bearing store.

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #4  
if you bought a viet-recon, chances are it was sold to you empty or near empty. Oil can also be down in the axle wells for each wheel. I'd say fill it with gear oil and monitor the situation. Others here have said what to do to test and do in the event of a need to repair the situation... good luck. -art

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working?
I filled it today and will monitor. I got the tractor from a contractor who used it to smooth dirt along roads where he buried pipe. He got rid of it because he was trying to use a 5ft box blade and it wasn't performing as he wished. I think there is a name, like HD International tractor import sprayed on it.
I tested the 4wd like Aaron said and it worked without making any racket. As far as the seals go, does the repair manual show how to get it done?

Thanks for the help again,
Jerry

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #6  
HD International is one of the Vietnamese recons. They were one of the first Vietnamese recons I heard about.

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working?
When did they start the viet reconditions? This tractor has been in the US for quite some time. The contractor I bought it from (2500.00 for tractor and bushhog), got it from a local auction in Dothan AL.

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #8  
"Where is the most likely leak location? Is it where the drive shaft enters the diff?"

Is it leaking now? For all you know, the lube could have taken 25 years to leak out. If that's the case, not to worry.

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When did they start the viet reconditions? )</font>

When they started. As I recall, Dothan was where the notorious "Frenchman" was based a few years back....someone who seemed to specialize in bad units, and eventually left the country to return home, leaving a few dismayed creditors behind.

/ 2000BD 4 wheel drive working? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( got it from a local auction in Dothan AL. )</font>

HDI would frequent consignment auctions with a load of their tractors. The tractors would look great, but later on the troubles would start. The seller would be long gone after the auction was over.